Firebolt

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Firebolt
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #0
Not sure how this happened, but my Priest has Level 3 Firebolt, but my Mage only Level 2.

Anyone know where improve Firebolt tomes are?

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
If you've already used one, you can't use it again. So if the reason that your mage has a lower level than your priest is that your mage happened to be unconscious when you read the book, you're out of luck.

If you happened to buy more Firebolt levels for your priest than for your mage, you can go back to anyone who sells the spell and buy another level for your mage.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #2
No - no one was unconscious, ever.

I can't buy any more Firebolt. Which is odd, because I thought you were allowed to buy +2 levels of every spell, even if you had already found a couple of levels. And presumably my Mage started off with one level, so I'm not quite sure what's happened.

If anyone knows where the Firebolt spellbooks are located, it would be very useful.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
You're sure you didn't neglect buying a level for your mage? You can indeed always buy 2 levels. If no one has ever been unconscious, there's no other way to end up with different levels on different PCs.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
I'm guessing you didn't give your priest any Mage Spells skill until AFTER level 1, am I right?

There's a very subtle oddity in the way that Bolt of Fire and Minor Heal are handled. If you start with enough Mage Spells or Priest Spells skill to know a level of Bolt of Fire or Minor Heal, it counts as a bought level (i.e. you can only buy one more level from a trainer). However, if you put a level into Mage Spells or Priest Spells after character creation, having had 0 levels in it when you first created your character, you still get a free level of Bolt of Fire or Minor Heal, but in this case it counts as a found level, so you can still buy two more levels from a trainer.

Try it for yourself. Start a character out with 1 Mage Spells and another character with 0 Mage Spells. Then, immediately after finishing character creation, use the second character's spare skill points to buy them 1 level of Mage Spells. Lark will train your first character up to level 2 in Bolt of Fire, but will train your second character all the way up to level 3.

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 14:52: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
Ooh. Nice catch Thuryl.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #6
Thuryl - that's sort of what must have happened. One character is the pre-configured mage, the other is a priest whom I gave one level of mage spells to during character creation.

The priest - though she already had one level - was able to buy two more. The mage was only allowed to buy one more.

So does anyone know where any places are to learn more Firebolt (ie tomes?)

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
There are no Bolt of Fire tomes anywhere in the game. (Or if there are, then I've missed them, and I don't think I have.) You'll have to make do with the level of Bolt of Fire you currently have.

If it's any consolation, spell levels really don't make much difference in Avernum 4.

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 23:01: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #8
After reaching an amazeing level of 5 in Haste, I got somewhat disappointed that it didn't do something more spectacular, like extending the effect from one in the group to all.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #9
According to the manual, increasing spell levels doesn't do anything but increase the spell's "attack strength." Attack strength, however, is the sum of spell level, mage/priest level, spellcraft, and magery, so paying to increase the spell level is...well, fairly silly. :(

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.