Dialogues

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Dialogues
Apprentice
Member # 5672
Profile #0
I have the following major complaints about dialogues in A4.

You come to a new city, you talk to everyone, find tons of useful information about the area, then explore the area, do some quests, wander around the map, come back to the same city, and with minor exceptions, the people are still telling you the same outdating old boring useless information. I would like a dialogue option to say: "yeah, been there, done that" on my part so that after I describe my adventures to a nice lady-shopkeeper, she will stop repeating me that she overheard that... Or there is a guy-shopkeeper-do-not-remember-where who has a replica of Demonslayer blade on his wall. After you have the real one, you should be able to gloat to his face: "Look at this!" and he should sigh: "Oh, wow, cool, man, yeah, super..."
I also understand that you do not want to be thrown too much of useless information too early in the game, but there are
lots of people who have extensively traveled and they should be able to tell you not just about the neighboring cities, but about every city and village on the map... Say the commander of the fort you start with can already reminiscence about how he was once in the castle and saw the king, that sort of stuff.
Warrior
Member # 6627
Profile Homepage #1
I see where you're coming from. Often the dialogue does change. The guy with the fake Demonbane DOES say something different when you show up with Demonbane. After you beat the local baddie, the dialogue does reflect it (like when you kill Hrickis (sp)). The normal conversational stuff (why did your family come to Avernum, etc.) could stand to change over time, but the fact that the minor details are attended to is enough for me.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
To be fair, Efram (with the fake Demonslayer) has had parties of adventurers waving the real blade in his face since the beginning of the series.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

To be fair, Efram (with the fake Demonslayer) has had parties of adventurers waving the real blade in his face since the beginning of the series.
Well, he's dead now...the shade got him in my game. :rolleyes: I never even got to see his wares, though. :(

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Efram's Demonslayer is almost as much of an artifact (in a historical sense) as the real thing. It's supposed to be an E/A1 party's first rumor of Demonslayer's existence.

Most minor quests do change dialogue, but only minorly. Often you have to look at the second paragraph to see the changes.

—Alorael, who could have done with some more substantial changes too. It's not really something he expected, though. Static worlds are part of the Spiderweb experience.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
And amen to that. "Dynamic persistent worlds" my butt.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00