Game speed in combat mode

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Game speed in combat mode
Apprentice
Member # 4119
Profile #0
Just started ZKR from Blades, in anticipation of a new Avernum game (I'm rather obsseional about mapping every square of every location, so whilst I played for many hours I only got around to completing the 1st 2 included scenarios - maybe the time-limit in this mission will cure me of my affliction).

Anyway, I've been reminded of one thing that really bugs me in these games. The fact that time goes much faster in town mode than combat mode. I can't see any logical reason for this. Clearly outdoors the time-scale's different and correctly so.

It's highly annoying. A major head-ache in exploring large dungeons is conserving spell points. If you move in normal mode (only fighting when you meet adversies), any enchantments wear off in a few moves; explore the entire dungeon in combat mode and you can get by with just the occasional top-up. However in fight mode you can't search, or save; it's a hassle to pick-up and distribute items - generally it's just a pain.

Is this still the case in A4?

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 20:51: Message edited by: Eldritch_Cadillac ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Yes. On the other hand, beneficial enchantments generally seem to last longer in Avernum 4 (and there are quite a few of indefinite duration), so having them wear off while you walk around in town mode isn't quite as much of an issue as it used to be.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
It's less of an issue. Most of the buffs will either effectively last forever or wear off reasonably quickly even in combat mode. Other than those, time doesn't matter. There's no clock ticking, no food to lose, and no light spell to run out.

Additionally, there is now an incentive to end combat now and then in the form of First Aid.

—Alorael, who can say with assurance that there is no longer a change in time when you're outdoors because there are only two modes, combat and non-combat. Outdoors became just a sprawling extension of town mode.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
I dunno, Bless and Protection are up in a snap for me -- they don't even make it through a single protracted fight. I've also always found that very annoying. While the Enduring spells are very good on this count, they DO decay over time -- the dodge bonus does, anyway.

First Aid, combined with the typical relative ease of clicking five times to get back to town and instantly heal up, make running out of spell points less of a big deal, though.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #4
I miss the possibility of fighting outside of Fight-mode. Just have your warrior lead the party and take out all these minor, annoying enemies with one blow. I am really a timesaver when it comes to things I know I can handle.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."