FIne Slith Spear, not so fine?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: FIne Slith Spear, not so fine?
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #0
I was pondering getting one of 'dem Fine spears for my Slith Warrior, and I went to Gnass to buy one from their highly-reputed smith, Shath. He doesn't seem to like me, but I got plenty of coin to pay with, so I don't care.
Now, I checked the stats for Slith Spear. It says "Abillities: Slith Spear - Base damage 8-24."

That's not too much, I got Spear of the Fen, and it does plenty of more damage (12-36).

I check the FINE spear, and hope it will do a very decent damage, like in Avernum 2. This is what I saw;

"Fine Slith Spear.

Abillities: Slith Spear - Base damage 6-24"

Err? You see something wrong with this? The Fine Slith Spear does even less damage than a normal Slith Spear (And is apparently a Slith Spear, while the normal Slith Spear has the abillity "Spear." Weird.)
Is this a bug, or is Shath trying to rip me off on purpose?

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
The regular Slith Spear is a level 8 weapon, but it has a multiplier of 3 like regular spears. Thus, each level of Strength, Pole Weapons, and so on that your warrior has will do an extra 1-3 damage. The Fine Slith Spear is a level 6 weapon, but it has a multiplier of 4 like halberds. Thus, each level of Strength, Pole Weapons, etc. will do an extra 1-4 damage.

The multiplier difference adds up quickly when you have high amounts of Strength and so on, as most warriors will. So the Fine Slith Spear is usually a stronger weapon. The "Base Damage" displayed is the damage you will get if you have no skill whatsoever with the weapon, and is often somewhat misleading.

(The weapon level affects the "base damage" and it also affects chance to-hit slightly. However, unless you are missing a lot with the fine spear you probably don't need to worry about that.)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #2
Okey, I guess that makes sense, but where does the "level" say for weapons, for us regular folks that don't know much about scripting, editing or even in-depth knowledge of statistics?
I mean, it could just say that it does exactly that..

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
It could. For whatever reason, it doesn't. "Base damage" is always the multiplier range times the weapon level. So the first number is always going to be the same as the weapon level. For your regular slith spear, that's "8 - 24" meaning 1-3 x 8.

Edit: Yeah. Thanks Thuryl.

[ Tuesday, January 03, 2006 16:00: Message edited by: Slartucker ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

It could. For whatever reason, it doesn't. "Base damage" is always the multiplier range times the weapon level. So the first number is always going to be the same as the weapon level. For your regular slith spear, that's "8 - 24" meaning 1-4 x 8.
You mean, of course, 1-3x8. Fine slith spears are 1-4x6 (plus 1-4 per level of Strength, Pole Weapons or Blademaster, of course).

[ Tuesday, January 03, 2006 14:51: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #5
Generally speaking, there is rarely anyone selling stuff that is better than what you could otherwise find at the same stage in the game.

The exception might be the guy who charges you 1000 to make you a client, who then makes Warrior's Cloaks and Runed Helms and stuff (which you won't find by that stage, nor ever in multiple quantities).

Buy a Fine/Blessed/Steel anything is never worth it. Nor having Blessed stuff made. So much better to get stat-enhancing gear, and especially acid/poison weapons.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Istara:

Generally speaking, there is rarely anyone selling stuff that is better than what you could otherwise find at the same stage in the game.

Buy a Fine/Blessed/Steel anything is never worth it. Nor having Blessed stuff made. So much better to get stat-enhancing gear, and especially acid/poison weapons.

Untrue. West of Silver is a smith making you a blessed breastplate, something you won't find replacement for untill you fetch the Emerald Chestguard for your main warrior, and Crystaline Plate for your second warrior/priest.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6631
Profile #7
Hrm, I think my slith is using a blessed spear.
So getting a bronze halberd instead will be better?
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #8
How far along are you in the game? I think the Blessed Spear will do more damage than the Bronze Halberd, but if you have gotten down to the Tower Colony yet, just do the quest about the Ogres acting up, kill the Chief and take his Spear of the Fen. Will be useful up to getting the final weapon - Jade Halberd.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Contra:

Untrue. West of Silver is a smith making you a blessed breastplate, something you won't find replacement for untill you fetch the Emerald Chestguard for your main warrior, and Crystaline Plate for your second warrior/priest.
I just don't see Blessed gear as particularly important. I'm also not seeing higher level armour have much effect on my fighters. Anyway you are so near the Emerald Chestguard by that stage. I just went and got it after the first play through.

I'd rather wear nice light chain or magic leather than bother with a heavy, expensive, bulky breastplate.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #10
The Blessed Breastplate doesn't cost you anything, just provide him with the material, which is just some fine steal and focusing crystals. Can be found all over the place.
The encumberance rating of a Blessed Breastplate compared to a Chaimail is not a factor of concern (an extra -15%), and it provides more than twice the protection.
Breastplate weights 20, Chainmail what..12.5? For a fighter or anyone with Strenght over 2, that is once again not much of an issue.

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:09: Message edited by: Contra ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
1. A Bronze Halberd will do more damage if you have a high attack bonus (Str + Pole + Blademaster). If you don't, the Spear will. Try them out.

2. While I like the new armor system very much, it does mean that the difference between different pieces of armor becomes very small, as far as protection goes. Given how easy it is to heal, an extra 10% protection is never really going to be significant unless you are stretched to your absolute limit fighting some powerful enemy. The protection you get from a Blessed Breastplate over a regular one is significantly less than the bonus from the Protection or Steel Skin spells, too.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #12
quote:

The exception might be the guy who charges you 1000 to make you a client, who then makes Warrior's Cloaks and Runed Helms and stuff (which you won't find by that stage, nor ever in multiple quantities).
Ugh, no. While I admittedly found him kind of late, I also found Runed Helms within 1.5 hours of buying them. They're available within the Great Cave, and so is the not-so-stellar Warrior's Cloak.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

2. While I like the new armor system very much, it does mean that the difference between different pieces of armor becomes very small, as far as protection goes. Given how easy it is to heal, an extra 10% protection is never really going to be significant unless you are stretched to your absolute limit fighting some powerful enemy. The protection you get from a Blessed Breastplate over a regular one is significantly less than the bonus from the Protection or Steel Skin spells, too.
The impotant benefit I find from more base protection is the higher elemental resists. Each 10% extra protection also gets you 5% (I think) on all your elemental resists. That's a reason to go for, say, Blessed Breastplate over chain or whatever - not the base armour effect (Parry should be taking care of much of the physical damage anyway).
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

quote:

Ugh, no. While I admittedly found him kind of late, I also found Runed Helms within 1.5 hours of buying them. They're available within the Great Cave, and so is the not-so-stellar Warrior's Cloak.

I found the Warrior's Cloak most beneficial, ironically, to my spell-casters and I believe they wore them all the way to the end.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
I did put a Warrior's Cloak on my mage for a while, until I found the Symbiotic Cloak. I ended up with an Archer's Cloak on one archer/priest, a Deadeye Cloak on the other archer/priest, and a Symbiotic Cloak on my mage. (My mage also had a Bonding Knife and Quicksilver Sandals, and never put a single point into Strength or Dexterity, so at the end of the game his Str and Dex were both 0. His strength would have been -2 if it were possible for stats to go into negatives. Fortunately, it isn't, as his equipment weighed a total of almost exactly 50 pounds, which was the most he could carry without encumbrance.)

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 20:27: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!