time period

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: time period
Warrior
Member # 2947
Profile #0
What is the time period of Avernum 4?

i.e is it based after A3? and if it is, why arent the avernites on the surface?

Im sure this has been established already but I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask.

-Chaz
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
It is many decades after A3. There are some on the surface, some stayed. The manual/instructions has the entire story. I would suggest reading it.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Some Avernites are on the surface and some loyal surfacelings are living in Avernum. Travel between the Empire and Avernum seems to be pretty open most of the time.

—Alorael, who wouldn't look too hard at the time line. Some NPCs seem to have aged decades, but others haven't. A4 is set approximately a few decades after A3, give or take a few decades.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
When you're speaking with Houghton and Starrus is when the game gets the most specific about time. Houghton was stationed at the Castle since before the war with Sss-Thsss, which is described as "decades before you were born." The heroes of A4 were born decades after A1, then, which suggests that it's at least 40 or 50 years after A1. If we are to believe the date counters in A1 and A3, A3 is 16 years after A1, so I'd round to 25-35 years after A3.

Starrus was born right before Micah died, and Micah was still alive in A3, so we can guess that Starrus was born after the time of A3. Starrus is in his early twenties in A4, so we can guess that A4 is more than 20 years after A3.

If we are to believe the date counters in BoA, VoDT takes place 22 years after A3, and ZKR takes place 2 years after that. A4 takes place after ZKR (since it makes reference to ZKR and the Second Slith War). However, the Second Slith War is described as brief, so it need not take place significantly after ZKR.

I'd guess that A4 takes place around 30 years after A3, give or take.

[ Tuesday, January 03, 2006 17:08: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5517
Profile #4
you really done your homework on this!