Mac emulators?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Mac emulators?
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #0
Are there any Mac emulators that Avernum 4 would run on?

[ Sunday, December 11, 2005 20:30: Message edited by: Archmage Mycroft ]

--------------------
If Skribbane dosn't kill me, canisters will.

"You suck." - TM
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Not that anyone here seems to know of. Wait for the Windows release.

—Alorael, who would be sorrier if it weren't simply justice for the Windows users to have to wait their turn sometimes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6539
Profile Homepage #2
two options:

1. with regards to emulation i've tried that route before with limited success (barely playable) actually, waiting for exile 3 is what got me into mac emulation :P

the two options are pearpc or basilisk ii ( now called sheepshearer i believe). both can be found on google. basilisk ii requires a mac rom and you are going to need a copy of macos 8 (which is the minimum avernum 4 requires and the maximum it supports). i am not sure if pearpc needs a rom, but it definately needs macos as well.

both of those things require you to legally own a macintosh for the rom and a copy of the operating system. naturally, you can find these if you look hard enough but its not entirely legal.

2. (what i am doing this afternoon) BUY AN OLD MACINTOSH! they're cheap (under $50). you can get a low end G3 imac with a mouse, keyboard. everything you need. plus they have usb/internal ethernet. im buying it just for internet in my kitchen.

myself, i gave up with emulation. too much of a headache considering that avernum 4 has very low system requirements.
Apprentice
Member # 6540
Profile Homepage #3
I don't belive anything before OSX will support A4, and I don't think there are any emulators out there capable of running OSX at any resonable speed so I think you're out of luck. An old G3 probably won't have OSX on it either, and that's a good $50+ investment I believe.

So the real question is how much is A4 worth to you?
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by NowAndAgain:

I don't belive anything before OSX will support A4, and I don't think there are any emulators out there capable of running OSX at any resonable speed so I think you're out of luck. An old G3 probably won't have OSX on it either, and that's a good $50+ investment I believe.

So the real question is how much is A4 worth to you?

A4 is Carbonized, it only technically requires 8.1.
Having said that, even on a genuine 8.1 system it'd be pretty slow...my 9600 with a G3/400 was pretty slow in BoA, and while the scripts aren't being interpreted for A4, other things are boosting the requirements.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 6539
Profile Homepage #5
__HELP WITH BUYING A MAC TO PLAY A4__

i wound up waiting to buy a beater mac.

would it be feasible to run at say g3 300mhz with 64mb of memory? if not, what would be the minimal system requirements needed to play. i am not looking for anything fast.

(i work in a town with a college, and since i'm in IT i have access to used university computers.)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
I think it could run on such a computer, but it might be painfully slow, because you'd be relying on virtual memory.

Apparently the technical specifications on the website are wrong: I've heard that it requires a 1024x768 monitor, with at least 128 megs of memory, and you probably want at least 500MHz. It might work on less, though. Anyone here actually have an old machine to see how it goes?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6539
Profile Homepage #7
ok. i will try 192mb memory, and 400+ mhz. i am not sure what kind of cheap g3 imacs are kicking around. i really would just do a clean install of macos and only running avernum 4.

god i am so pathetic.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
It works decently on a 450 Mhz G4 with 192 MB RAM.

—Alorael, who can't understand spending money on a new (old) computer to play A4 a month or two early. Buying Macs and playing A4 are all well and good, but shouldn't there be a limit somewhere?
Apprentice
Member # 6539
Profile Homepage #9
well i will be seeing how it works shortly on a g3 400 mhz with 128mb of ram and macos 9.2.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #10
My mac is a 300 mhz G3.

You WILL need more ram though. It's cheap enough to get.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 6539
Profile Homepage #11
that isn't a problem. i happen to have an extra 128mb stick kicking around that i am fairly sure is compatible. (macs take pc133 right?)

thanks for the help everyone! just so you all know, i am justifying the money i spent on this as "oh i needed a macintosh kicking around my apartment anyway" not as in "i need a macintosh the moment spiderweb releases a game i can't play for a few weeks".

on another note, i am not sure if my girlfriend will make me return it right when i get home, or after i ignore her for a couple days.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #12
Depends on the Mac. G3s most certianly do not use pc133, seeing as how most G3s have a 50, 66, or 100mhz bus.

You are getting a Yosemite B&W right? You are going to want a pc100 SDRAM DIMM. And that is a 168 pin chip IIRC correctly, but I could be wrong on this part.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 6539
Profile Homepage #13
well i am on my new macintosh right now. im on my home network ... im downloading avernum 4. the ram chip in question happened to be 256, so im riding fine with 384? whatever the total is. pc133 worked no probs. :)

the chip that was inside was pc100. i know from extensive pc experience that higher = ok, lower = not ok. either way im not complaining.

my download is done now. so guess what i'm doing!!!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Solid Ocean Core Souls:

Not that anyone here seems to know of. Wait for the Windows release.

—Alorael, who would be sorrier if it weren't simply justice for the Windows users to have to wait their turn sometimes.

That logic seems more emotional than anything. I'm a PC user, of course, but I can't think of a single piece of software that I've purchased that is not available for Mac. Since the only games I buy (to play rather than gift) are by Spiderweb, I am left at a disadvantage. I'm happy for all you Mac users that you have a company that supports you, and I wish more felt that need. But it leaves an ill taste that the preference for Macs leaves the PC user waiting.
Of course I do get to spend this time accidentally reading A4 related threads, even some spoilers, and have the feeling that some of us are left out of the party. It would seem Jeff could cater to both user groups by delaying release or by using whatever library someone suggested for quick conversion between platforms. Just a thought.

*this message sponsored by the hysteria channel*

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #15
You're right Vlish, except they pretty much make pc133 SDRam compatible with pc100 now, so when you want to make small upgrades on old machines you at least gain a little more - and they can stop making that one extra old type of ram.

From what I've seen, its actually really hard to buy pc100 now, since most companies seem to just make pc133 which is compatible for the motherboards using pc100.

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
Just about every company but Spiderweb has for years released for PC first and Mac second. Some are moving to simultaneous releases now, but there are still a large number of games available only for PC. I don't mind myself so much, but poking fun at the PC users who for once echo the Mac users lament is, well, fun!

—Alorael, who knows why Jeff doesn't release simultaneously. As soon as he has something finished, it doesn't do him any good not to sell it. More money sooner is a good thing, and releases before Christmas are considered good, apparently. He probably doesn't program in a cross-platform compatible way because he isn't used to it and he's a man of habit.