HELP - "Sound Error 2" on Launch of Avernum 5 Demo

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: HELP - "Sound Error 2" on Launch of Avernum 5 Demo
Apprentice
Member # 12068
Profile Homepage #0
I need advice, please.

When I launch the Avernum 5 1.0 Demo, I receive the following error dialog: "Sound Error 2: GeneForge 4 was unable to initialize the sound effects." Then it will run without any sound.

(Yes, it actually says "GeneForge 4.")

This is actually better than all of the other Spiderweb demos, which will not launch at all. The newer ones do complain about initializing audio, but then quit to the finder. At least Av5 will play, albeit silently.

How do I fix this??

I'm running a 15" MacBook Pro, 2GHz intel CoreDuo (Jul'06 revised mobo), 1 GB RAM, OS X 10.4.10.

I don't have any Audio extensions loaded except "SoundSource," which is an input/output device switcher. Typically, the only other application I have running is Safari.

I'd happily pay for Avernum 5, but not if I can't get the audio to work. :(

Thanks in advance!
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #1
I am afraid you will have to wait a couple of days, since Jeff is away on a little vacation.

In the meantime you might want to have a look at this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305779

I know that this is not exactly your problem, but perhaps it might help solve your issue.

--------------------
Always be true to yourself - unless you suck
Apprentice
Member # 12068
Profile Homepage #2
Thanks, Locmaar. I had already applied that upgrade, but applied it again since I remembered that I am having some wierdness with audio ever since I force-quit Quicktime one day about a month ago when it froze -- and now it doesn't play any audio on .avi playback.

I see that another user was able to remedy the situation, but he was since banned. I guess I'll wait until Jeff returns.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #3
No audio on a .avi playback is most likely due to a missing codec, not a sound problem. I don't know how to fix your Spiderweb games problem, but Perian should solve your video playback issue.

Edit: I don't think this helps you any, but I have the exact same system that you do (with the exception of the OS. I'm running 10.5.1), and I haven't had any problems.

[ Friday, November 23, 2007 18:14: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 12068
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

No audio on a .avi playback is most likely due to a missing codec, not a sound problem. I don't know how to fix your Spiderweb games problem, but Perian should solve your video playback issue.
Well, the Codec once worked, but I had to force quit QT once when it froze on playback, and ever since then .avi files play without audio.

But that's a clue that something's seriously fubared with my system software. I'm tempted to reinstall from the OS X install DVD and apply the 10.4.11 upgrades. I think I'm gonna wait for the next 10.4.11 patchm, since a lot of MBP owners are complaining that 10.4.11 is causing problems.

In the meantime, I'm learning to enjoy Avernum 5 without audio. I haven't played a Spiderweb RPG since the original Exile on my Mac IIsi, and it's the same... but better.

[ Saturday, November 24, 2007 21:53: Message edited by: bughunter ]
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #5
To tell you the truth, bughunter, I think you should install 10.4.11. After installing 10.4.10 I could no longer mount dmg's and numerous other small problems including an inability to print pdf's with the cupsd task (which is the only one that can, as far as I can tell). If I tried, a task called pstopdffilter would eat all my CPU power all the time. I don't think there will be many problems, but you never know with Intel chips (not that I dislike them at all). The update could help; you never know.

Well, it's up to you, but I would recommend it.

[ Monday, November 26, 2007 13:53: Message edited by: Fractal ]

--------------------
Feel free to rate my karma. Please. I like to have an idea of what people think of me.

The Mystic: "Vista is a funky and finicky OS to begin with."