Avernum 1 & 2 Saving Problems

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 1 & 2 Saving Problems
Apprentice
Member # 8889
Profile #0
I have, at one point or another, downloaded the demos for A1 and A2, but I wound up deleting them because neither program would successfully save my games; it got really old having to start from the beginning every single time. I have not had this problem with A3, however. That one saves correctly. My computer stats:

Mac G3; OS 9.2.2

I close all other applications before opening the games, so there shouldn't be a conflict there. Corrupt files, maybe? I really can't figure it out.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #1
Have you tried re-downloading just to make sure it isn't a corrupted file somewhere?

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #2
I remember you (or someone) talking about odd game-saving problems. What exactly happens when you attempt to save your game in A1 or 2? I never had problems like that with my system nine.

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!

The Mystic: "Vista is a rather funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Apprentice
Member # 8889
Profile #3
quote:
Have you tried re-downloading just to make sure it isn't a corrupted file somewhere?
Yep - it does the same thing each time. :( Maybe I shouldn't have two Avernum games on my computer at the same time? It's only a 6 gig hd, but I have plenty of space.
Apprentice
Member # 8889
Profile #4
quote:
What exactly happens when you attempt to save your game in A1 or 2?
The computer pauses for a second, making all the right saving-type sounds, and my scroll screen reads: "Game saved." But when I try to load the game after having closed the program down, absolutely nothing happens. I've even gone straight into the A2 folder, clicking on my saved game from there (which is just a blank doc icon, as opposed to the nifty dragon icon that represents my A3 game file). The A2 programs open when I do this, but again, my attempt to load the saved game gets no response, not even a menu from which to choose the correct file. It's all just weird. And very, very frustrating. :(
Apprentice
Member # 8889
Profile #5
SUCCESS!!!!

After comparing the files in the A3 folder with those in the A2 folder, I noticed a difference. The A3 application program was titled: Avernum 3 v1.0. The A2 program - the one giving me problems - was titled: Avernum 2 2.0.app.

On a hunch, I retitled the A2 file, deleting the ".app" part, and suddenly, VOILA! It *was* saving the game all along; it's just that I couldn't access it with the application program titled incorrectly for some odd reason. Such technical quirks can be very annoying. :( I'm just glad I found a solution.