Exile running slowly

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile running slowly
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #0
Hi again folks,

I recently got Windows Vista (pretty cool-looking, by the way), and I installed all the Exiles. However, they all run very slowly, even though the game speed is set on 'fastest'. Avernum works fine. Why might this be?

--------------------
-ben4808
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #1
I haven't experienced this myself. Exile isn't officially supported under Vista, but I have had no problems with it. You could try running the games in WinXP compatability mode, that may help.

Otherwise try turning off windows indexing service and adding the games to your anti-virus software's safelist (so the game files aren't scanned in realtime) as those are both likely causes of delay.

Personally I don't think the looks of Vista are its biggest selling point. I find it claustrophobic and while I'm switching back and forth between XP and Vista, I much prefer XP. However Vista does have a lot of time-saving interface improvements and tighter security, so I guess in the end it will succeed.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #2
I tried temporarily disabling real-time scanning, which didn't speed up the game and running it in compatibility mode didn't do much either. How do you turn off the indexing service?

Also, you're right: the new look is just a small part of the hype about Vista. I think people use it just because it's seen as the "new generation of Windows", though it really not all that different from XP.

--------------------
-ben4808
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #3
Indexing service can be disabled on a folder-by-folder basis from Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Indexing Options (make sure you only include folders you are really want to search, and not folders that change frequently like temporary internet files or your download space).

As I said Exile seems to run fine on my Vista machine. Not sure what else to suggest; switching off sounds generally speeds things up. In E3/BOE you can additionally switch off the animated terrain, which makes a difference if movement seems sluggish.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #4
Well, well, what do you know. I experimented with the preferences, and once I turned the sounds off, the game worked perfectly! That's wierd; Vista quirk perhaps? :P

Thank you, BtW.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
Probably a resource conflict over the sound system.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #6
Hmmm.

Now that I've played a little bit, having no sounds can be a little annoying. Having no sounds also translates into having no pauses in the gameplay when a sound would have normally been played (e.g. if a monster dies it just suddenly disappears).

So I'd like to know how to fix this, but if not, that's fine; at least it's playable now.

EDIT: Oh n/m, it turned out, after a little online searching, was I had a sound card driver problem. Thanks anyway.

[ Friday, May 11, 2007 16:39: Message edited by: Sturg ]

--------------------
-ben4808