Exile 2 spontaneously quitting

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile 2 spontaneously quitting
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #0
I posted about this same problem a really long time ago, shortly after I registered the Exile trilogy (about a year ago). Right after registering, I started playing Exile 2 and everything worked fine…until some point in the fourth chapter. When the Empire guys show up in the Almaria storeroom, my game would spontaneously quit at some point during that battle. I tried opening the file with the copy of Exile 2 on my computer (Mac OS X, by the way) and the one on the CD–same result. I figured (corroborated by others' advice here) that my save file was corrupted. I recently started over again and seem to be having the same problem. So apparently it's not the file. What should I do?

[ Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:32: Message edited by: Erika Maroonmark ]

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #1
Interesting. The same thing happened to me - same battle, same location. I suspect there is nothing we can do about that as I don't think Jeff will want to dig into Exile code again. Oh well...
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I think I remember the same problem. I think it was a bad square in the storeroom that causes the problem.

Try moving your party differently when you do that room and see if it makes a difference.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #3
Oh! I'll try that…I think I've been going straight up from the door every time. XD So I need to be somewhere else when I reach that horizontal–*hops off to try it* Thanks, guys!

Edit: …Okay, no. The last couple times I've tried it, it's seemed like whenever character #6 is done moving, the thing crashes. I've done it from several starting spaces. ><

[ Wednesday, May 02, 2007 18:02: Message edited by: Erika Maroonmark ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Have you tried ending combat mode each round before character 6 moves, then?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #5
This sort of thing is almost always a file corruption. Completely trash your Exile 2. (Keep the saved games.) Redownload and reinstall.

If that doesn't help (which would surprise me), just bypass that encounter. It's not necessary to win or anything.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #6
I've tried opening the file up from both the CD and the version I downloaded and subsequently registered…but if I don't need it to beat the game, then I guess it's not that big a deal.

(Edit: I tried ending combat before the offending character moved, and it worked! ^_^)

[ Thursday, May 03, 2007 12:53: Message edited by: Erika Maroonmark ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #7
I've run into this problem too. It also showed up in the Tower of Magi. A few technical details are behind the link.

It's not a data corruption issue. Don't bother redownloading (again, if you already tried that) - it doesn't make a bit of difference. It's a bug. My best guess is that it has something to do with the friendly-monster AI in large towns.

Your best bet is to find a real OS 9 (or earlier!) machine to play on. For whatever reason, the crash isn't triggered on that OS. I don't know whether it's just due to some sort of different API behavior or because OS 9 doesn't mind bad pointers quite as much, but the battle went off without a hitch on an older machine I had around.

If you don't have an OS 9 machine, you could also try running Exile under SheepShaver. It's a bit of a pain to get working, and it'll probably run really slowly, but all you need to do is get through that one battle.

Alternatively, you can just send me a copy of your save file and I'll run through the battle for you. :)