Direct Sound Error - BoA

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Direct Sound Error - BoA
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #0
After failing an attempt to dual-boot my computer, I did a full restore on it (Win98), and then reinstalled BoA. I got this error on the opening screen:
quote:
Direct Sound Error: Failed to create sound buffer. Game will be quiet now. Most of the time, these problems can be fixed by installing a fresh copy of your sound drivers.
Re-installing the sound drivers didn't help, neither did re-installing Blades. According to my DirectX diagnostic, Direct Sound works find.

What version of DirectX is needed for BoA? (it's possible that beforehand I had updated the DirectX from the pre-installed version, I don't remember.) Otherwise, what else could be the cause? (I do know that the sound driver I have in now is the same one as beforehand.)
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
Version 8 is the minimum I think.

Also, for some reason, BoA needs I.E version 5 or above. I found this out after reinstalling Win98SE.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #2
That would be the problem; the computer comes with version 6. I do have IE5, though. Murky buckets.

EDIT: Fixed it. Youpi!

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will explain to my Legions of Terror that guns are ranged weapons and swords are not. Anyone who attempts to throw a sword at the hero or club him with a gun will be summarily executed.

[ Friday, September 29, 2006 07:01: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #3
I'm curious, what were you dual-booting, and how did you muck it up? In my experience, dual-booting is fairly straightforward.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
I was trying Ubuntu (no particular reason other than the CompSci department had a few copies sitting around). I had installed a second hard drive as a slave beforehand. The first time I tried the 'normal' install, and it got hung up 'setting up the partitioner'. Not wanting to partition my drives, I tried again with the 'expert' install and skipped the partitioner, but it seem that that step also sets up the file system as well (neither GRUB nor LILO wanted to install).

I'm not too concerned. It won't be necessary for me to dual-boot for a year or two yet, and by then I hope to change my computer anyway.

--------------------
Factory Orders Dip
- Headline