A3: XP/Level Mysteriously Decreased

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A3: XP/Level Mysteriously Decreased
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #0
So I looked at one of my character info screens -- for my fighter character, Algernon -- and noticed that somewhere along the line, he lost four levels and thousands of experience points. Just to add a little spice to the mix, the game still says that he needs 52,000 XP to level up. Considering that he only has about 46,000 at this point, that could take a long time.

Another character in the party, Ma Gwai, has an XP penalty of 30% -- the same as Algernon. Yet he appears to be progressing normally. None of my characters have ever died (well, not without me re-loading a save file, anyway), nor have I witnessed any other event that would cause this to occur.

I'm running Avernum 3 v. 1.1.4, on a 600 mHz G3 Mac with OS X 10.3.9 installed. I've never had a problem before now, certainly nothing like this. It's pretty much a game-ruiner for me.

As proof (and so that you'll know what you're looking at), I have uploaded two images: one of Algernon's info screen, and one of Ma Gwai's info screen. As I mentioned before, Ma Gwai and Algernon have identical XP penalties, 30% each, and they've all been in the same fights. Both of the other characters in the party are at the proper level and experience, too.

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/pipboy_2ooo/algernon.jpg)
IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/pipboy_2ooo/magwai.jpg)

[ Saturday, April 08, 2006 03:39: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #1
Did he actually lose levels?

If it's just uneven experience, there might be an explanation. I think that the person who actually does the killing gets more experience than someone who just sits there. The Ma Gwai character seems more of a "tank" that you would send out to beat up things and get beat up upon.

But then again, I know hardly anything about A3.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Wonko The Sane:

Did he actually lose levels?

If it's just uneven experience, there might be an explanation. I think that the person who actually does the killing gets more experience than someone who just sits there. The Ma Gwai character seems more of a "tank" that you would send out to beat up things and get beat up upon.

But then again, I know hardly anything about A3.

He lost levels. I know he got to level 43, and besides, his next level wouldn't be 7,000 XP+ away in any case, no matter what level he was. Algernon gets as many kills as Ma Gwai, if not more -- at the very least, they're about even. Certainly not 4 levels of difference; if anyone should be behind, it would be Ma Gwai.

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #3
There is a monster (can't remember which - an undead) which lowers your character's XP. Perhaps you just came into contact with too many of them. I recall that they can be hell with your XP.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #4
There are several undead which do this , I believe. If you see a line print out that says "Algernon is drained" when fighting one of these, it means that some of his xp has been stolen.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

There are several undead which do this , I believe. If you see a line print out that says "Algernon is drained" when fighting one of these, it means that some of his xp has been stolen.
Enough to steal 10,000 XP (as compared to Ma Gwai)?

That's utterly ridiculous, though. Well, I guess there's nothing I can do about it. If someone could tell me which undead do this and how many experience points are typically stolen, that could help me figure this out. As it is, having a fighter who is going to be almost ten levels lower than everyone else is kind of annoying. Very annoying, actually.

As far along as I may be, I think I'm going to start the game over again and make sure not to get hit by these undead, because I find this pretty upsetting.

[ Saturday, April 08, 2006 13:27: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #6
I think I removed experience drain in Avernum 3. I CERTAINLY made sure experience drain never takes levels away. Nothing takes levels away.

What this looks like is a file corruption, either in the game or the saved game.

I suggest chucking Avernum 3, downloading a fresh copy, and reinstalling. Then go back to a saved game from before the levels mysteriously disappeared. There is nothing in the game as designed to cause that effect.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #7
By opening two saved games, I have managed to determine approximately when Algernon lost his XP.

Near the beginning of the lower level of the Pit of the Wyrm, Algernon was Level 39, had 49,692 XP, and had his next level coming at 50,700.

Near the end of the Pit (at the altar next to the room with the Fury Crossbow), he was level 40, had 42,503 XP, and had his next level coming at 52,000.

Somewhere between the entrance to the lower Pit and that altar, Algernon (and only Algernon) lost about 10,000 XP -- and I didn't fight a single undead the entire time.

10,000 XP lost in a single part of one dungeon? About 15%-20% of all the XP I had accumulated throughout the entire game?

No, that's ridiculous. There must be a bug. What sort of insane game designer would allow monsters to dock you 10,000 XP in less than 100 yards of dungeon?

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

I think I removed experience drain in Avernum 3. I CERTAINLY made sure experience drain never takes levels away. Nothing takes levels away.

What this looks like is a file corruption, either in the game or the saved game.

I suggest chucking Avernum 3, downloading a fresh copy, and reinstalling. Then go back to a saved game from before the levels mysteriously disappeared. There is nothing in the game as designed to cause that effect.

- Jeff Vogel

My copy of Avernum 3 is from the CD-ROM I ordered just a couple of weeks ago. Should I still replace it with a downloaded copy (which would require getting another registration code)?

[ Saturday, April 08, 2006 13:45: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #9
Get a new copy from our web site and install it. That shouldn't unregister your copy. If it does, we can give you a replacement key for free. Just E-mail us.

Of course, it might be the saved game that got corrupted, not the game files. That's why it's a very good idea to go to a game from before things went wrong.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #10
I must say I hated the experience draining in the earlier games. I always loaded the game if it happened. I'm glad it's not in Av4 :)
Warrior
Member # 5118
Profile #11
nice

--------------------
This apple? no. That apple? no. What about that orange? no. "What DO YOU WANT!!!!" 'Wink' "I want the apple you are eating."