Geneforge and flatscreen problem

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge and flatscreen problem
Apprentice
Member # 5916
Profile #0
Is there any way to get Geneforge to work on a Dell Inspiron? It's one of those laptops with the wide screen. The machine absolutely refuses a resolution change, whether from Direct X or manually changing it, and unlike Nethergate or Avernum the Geneforge games won't play without a resolution change.

If you try to play Geneforge or Geneforge 2, you get a message saying the flatscreen display works best at 1280x800, and the game gets minimized. Then when you try to shut down the game the screen goes black and you have to reset the computer to get out of it.

I'm quite surprised I haven't read about anyone else having this problem, as this monitor type is becoming quite common.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #1
Wether your monitor performs best at 1280x800, you should still be able to get the size down to 800x600, or your version of that. Mum's computer has a flatscreen like this, and it has no problems playing Geneforge. When the screen size is small enough, you should be able to change the resolution to whatever it needs, and play the program. Ofcourse, it could also be something wrong with your computer.

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Apprentice
Member # 5916
Profile #2
If I do it manually (go into the Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Change the Screen Resolution), I get:

"Flat Panel Warning
You have selected a non-optimal Screen Area setting for your LCD panel. Unlike external computer monitors, LDC panels have one particular Screen Area setting that looks best. It is recommended you set your Screen Area to 1280x800."

Then after about ten seconds it switches it back to 1280x800 and shuts down the screen resolution window.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
You might be better off asking about resolution switching in a general computer tech support forum. There aren't really many computer experts here.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #4
Your computer is just stubborn.

- Take Thuryl's advice -

--------------------
-ben4808
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
You almost had it switched. Try it again and notice the settings window now is overlaid with a message dialog. Click on the Yes button to confirm that you like the new settings, or else it will auto revert (in case you can't see anything).

I hope it works for you.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Apprentice
Member # 5916
Profile #6
Yep, you had it pegged. The flatscreen warning was completely covering the other dialog window, so the settings would revert before I could do anything and I didn't know the other window existed.

It's fixed now.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
Sweet. Glad to hear that you can get to gaming.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.