Exile 3, Windows, Crashing at Character Creation

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile 3, Windows, Crashing at Character Creation
Apprentice
Member # 5120
Profile #0
I recently download the Windows version of Exile 3. I played the mac version a fair old bit when I was younger and was getting a bit nostalgic. ;) Anyway, I no longer have a mac, so I'm running the Windows version but the problem is it keeps freezing when I try and create a party, just as the PC graphics start to load. I thought it might just be a glitchy version so I also tried running a version of the game from a shareware CD - same problem, still freezing and crashing at the same point.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, or have any idea what might be causing it? I'm running Windows ME.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I haven't found any mention of it in the Troubleshooting FAQ or the like, so I suspect it may be a problem with my own computer rather than anything wrong with the game. Any insight would be appreciated though. :)

Edit: Ahh, I think I should've posted this in Tech Support..sorry.

[ Sunday, October 24, 2004 07:24: Message edited by: Aora ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Allow me to perform my moderatorial duties by moving this....

EDIT: Moved. As I am a Mac user, though, we have to wait for someone else actually to answer this question.

[ Sunday, October 24, 2004 08:43: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Aora:

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, or have any idea what might be causing it? I'm running Windows ME.

You have answered your own question. Windows ME is a poor excuse for an operating system...so much so that more people would much rather have Windows 95/98 to be running on their computer. When I had Win ME on my computer, not only did most of the SW games not work, but mostly all other games that I had as well as some simple programs refused to work or froze up. If you can switch to a different operating system...do so. If you can't, try restarting your computer and running Exile again.

--------------------
Austrian Alex
Apprentice
Member # 5120
Profile #3
I suspected that might be a factor, but changing operating systems isn't really an option for me right now...restarting doesn't change anything either, still freezing at the same point. :( Thanks for the advice anyway though.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #4
If/When you do change your OS you may be interested to know that no exiles work on WinXP either- you have to go to 98 or 95 again.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
BANNED
Member # 4860
Profile Homepage #5
E3 runs fine on my system, sorry.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by m's chosen:

If/When you do change your OS you may be interested to know that no exiles work on WinXP either- you have to go to 98 or 95 again.
All the SW games work perfectly on my WinXP computer. Maybe it's one of those things between the Home and Prof. version?

--------------------
Austrian Alex
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #7
I have professional
There was a topic in tech on this about a month ago and the conclusion by the multiple people that tried to help the person was that it did not work- if this was wrong..
I'll try it again and give you the message that it says. I have seen ways that are supposed to deal with this problem that XP has but they didn't work for me so I didn't even suggest them at the time.

Edit: Here's the topic click here

Edit#2: Just downloaded it again
got message when tried to install-
quote:
16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\DOCUME~1\MATTHE~1\Desktop\exil3v10.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32|AUTOEXEX.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choos 'Close' to terminate the application.

(options) [Close] [Ignore]
Clicking Ignore just closes the application. Close does the same.

I'm going to try to find the description of the problem on MS's trouble shooting

[ Monday, October 25, 2004 13:31: Message edited by: m's chosen ]

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Apprentice
Member # 5120
Profile #8
quote:
Oh dear, that's quite disappointing. I daresay if it's not running properly on XP then ME is certainly a lost cause though. I guess I'll try again when I have a better operating system.

Thanks for the help, all.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #9
Well I guess not everyone has this problem so don't worry about it too much-
It problably would work for you-

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #10
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/1264.asp

Contact your system administrator...well that was very helpful. :rolleyes:

This might help, though:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--------------------
Austrian Alex
Apprentice
Member # 5120
Profile #11
Well, I'll keep that in mind if I ever switch to XP.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #12
Yeah the second one is the one that I've seen before- I tried it but didn't really work through it at all since I really don't need to run the E series on this computer. Thanks for finding it again though if somebody else has this problem it could be useful.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #13
And people laughed at me when I said I wasn't going to switch to XP.

Well--WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?! HUH?!

/me waves his stick triumphantly
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #14
I had the EXACT same problem on my old computer. I had windows 98, but it still froze. I talked to somebody... and they said it was the display drivers. I don't know if this is true, or if it will even help.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam