Mac OS 10.3.5 and BoE

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Mac OS 10.3.5 and BoE
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #0
With Mac OS X 10.3.5, I'm having several troubles with BoE.

First, ResEdit will not work to create a .MEG file. I have downloaded new copies of ResEdit, bumped memory up on it, etc. No go. It either crashes when I attempt to paste an image into a file, or it refuses to paste it. I've used ResEdit for over 10 years, BoE for at least 6, and previously created dozens of MEG files, so I know it's not me.

Second, the Character Editor is very flaky. If you are in millions of colors and start the editor, it will crash the first time when you try to save a file, even if you've switched to 256 color mode. If you then reload it (while still in 256 color mode) it will limp along.

Even if you do get it to work, sometimes when you try to add spells to a character, the text in the dialog box that names each spell is absent. So, you have several rows of checkboxes with no descriptive text. What fun!

Also, the icon for the Character Editor has changed to the default application icon in OS X - two sheets of paper with a pencil, brush, and ruler on the bottom of the paper.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
I'm on OS X 10.1.5 and haven't had problems as severe as yours, but have occasionally experienced crashes when viewing PICT resources in ResEdit.

Resfool and ResKnife are alternative resource editors for OS X. Can't vouch for their features or stability, but if they work for you they're better than nothing.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Silence in Motion:

With Mac OS X 10.3.5, I'm having several troubles with BoE.

First, ResEdit will not work to create a .MEG file. I have downloaded new copies of ResEdit, bumped memory up on it, etc. No go. It either crashes when I attempt to paste an image into a file, or it refuses to paste it. I've used ResEdit for over 10 years, BoE for at least 6, and previously created dozens of MEG files, so I know it's not me.

Second, the Character Editor is very flaky. If you are in millions of colors and start the editor, it will crash the first time when you try to save a file, even if you've switched to 256 color mode. If you then reload it (while still in 256 color mode) it will limp along.

Even if you do get it to work, sometimes when you try to add spells to a character, the text in the dialog box that names each spell is absent. So, you have several rows of checkboxes with no descriptive text. What fun!

Also, the icon for the Character Editor has changed to the default application icon in OS X - two sheets of paper with a pencil, brush, and ruler on the bottom of the paper.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

If it was up to me, I'd say that you had an older version of BoE, one which doesn't accept your newer version of Mac.

I mean, that's what the problem would be on Windows...

They can't be that different, can they?

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
"An older version of BoE"? BoE hasn't been updated in about 7 years now. Every version is an old version. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

"An older version of BoE"? BoE hasn't been updated in about 7 years now. Every version is an old version. :P
I didn't know that...

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)