Need help with game installation

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Need help with game installation
Apprentice
Member # 1820
Profile #0
I have a problem that is preventing me from installing any spidweb games on my computer. I am able to download the games (Geneforge, Avernum I, and, <gasp>, even Avernum 3 when its out).

The problem comes when I double click on the downloaded file "Averdemo" -- a small window appears that says "Initializing setup," then a big window pops up that says "Avernum Demo Installer." However, this disappears immediately, and I can proceed no further with the installation process.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem. My computer runs Windows 98. Please respond if you know the solution, or just have a suggestion that I could try.

Thanks guys.
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #1
Shut down any unnecessary programs in the menu that comes by CTRL+ALT+DEL buttons.

--------------------
"The Darkness Shall Return!"
BANNED
Member # 870
Profile Homepage #2
If it does that with other games and what wizard said doesn't work try looking for viruses.

--------------------
Siganture perishes.
Infiltrator
Member # 1817
Profile #3
Try ALT+TAB when the big window comes up. Try changing the screensize of the big window and then move it out of the way, see if the setup wizard is behind it.
(This happens on some systems with odd configurations...)

[ Sunday, September 01, 2002 19:37: Message edited by: Thanatos ]
Warrior
Member # 1780
Profile Homepage #4
you could also try and wait an insane amount of time (a while back installations to ages for me to do (of course I could just close the prog that was causing the prob with alt-ctrl-del but then I couldnt uninstall the program later on...)

Also if you didnt use a download manager you could check the file sizes to see if you have the whole thing (and if you dont have a download manager eg. getright, I would suggest you get one if you plan on downloading from the net often :) )

--------------------
BoomShanka
Apprentice
Member # 1820
Profile #5
From the poster formerly known as stinkification (I changed my name after last night's Adult Swim):

Thanks for the advice so far, but none of it seems to help.

--I closed everything I could in the ctrl-alt-del window, but that didn't help.

--The big installation window that pops up is only on screen for an instant, way too quick to see whats behind it.

--My antivirus comes up clean -- maybe I need to update it, since a virus is the only cause I can think of.

--I don't think that its a bad download because I had the same problem after around 10 downloads.

Thanks for the advice so far. Any more help?

The new Master Shake
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #6
I've heard some people have had good luck in installing the game via CD. They can be ordered through spiderweb, but you run the risk of not trying the game out fully before you purchase it.

Still, definitely try updating you antivirus program. It's unlikely that that is the cause, but still, it doesn't hurt.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1150
Profile Homepage #7
My desktop runs 98 and I have not had problems downloading demos from Spidweb. Do you have problem downloading demos from other sites on the web? If you continue to have a problem, I can email you a copy of whatever demos you want. Just send me an email (my address is on my profile)

--------------------
"To sit in solemn silence on a dull dark dock/in a pestilential prison with a lifelong lock/awaiting the sensation of a short sharp shock/from a cheap and chippy chopper on a big black block."
Visit The Kavern webpage, host of Phoenix and Polaris, and home of a soon-to-be famous writing center!
BANNED
Member # 870
Profile Homepage #8
I have windows 95 and it runs just fine. no problems whatsoever.

--------------------
Siganture perishes.
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #9
Well finally I have one piece of advice:
click the Avernum Demo installer as many times as you think it is best and WAIT.
I had these kind of problems with Nethergate and I solved it with this

--------------------
"The Darkness Shall Return!"
Apprentice
Member # 1820
Profile #10
My update of my problem and plea for more help:

I tried the last suggestion by wizard, and clicked on the Averdemo icon over and over. One time I did get a message that there was a problem with the following file:

windows/temp/suf5lng.0

I searched for a file by this name in any folder, but it does not exist. Any ideas? I'd love to play avernum again, or geneforge.

Thanks
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #11
Not too many more ideas, but maybe you should move the installer off your desktop, and directly onto C:. It probably won't do a thing, but you never know.

Also, try updating your version of win98. Check out microsoft's homepage for more information on this.

[ Sunday, September 08, 2002 18:36: Message edited by: Schrodinger ]

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 1820
Profile #12
One thing I should have added from the beginning: I have had Avernum working on this computer before, but I deleted it for space reasons. So it definitely works on my computer. The problem that keeps it from installing is new.
BANNED
Member # 870
Profile Homepage #13
Try all the suggestions here.

If not it might be a certain new program that won't allow it to run. Just a suggestion. Hope it works! ;)

I meant a program you got after you deleted the game or downloaded the game.

[ Tuesday, September 10, 2002 15:52: Message edited by: Shaper Master ]

--------------------
Siganture perishes.