Middle of the road viewpoint

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Middle of the road viewpoint
Lifecrafter
Member # 19
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by bogus standard candidate:

what about game?

next thing you know we have chatty turrets and mines who waste their live away philosophizing and plotting (no pun intended) world domination.

Numerous serviles are hunters, so they must hunt something...
and sentient turrets/mines are just ludicrous, I think there should be a turret like Solbergs cat, always trapped in some place and it'ld like to spend it's live doing 'higher' things than shooting people

--------------------
Good luck all, keep on playing
May the GIFTS walk upon the earth forever
all hail the spider lord
The first citizen of Exile
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #51
I think turrets and mines are rather like bacteria. They live, they perform actions, but they do not of their own conscious thought but just because that is how they are made. A virus cannot help attacking cells.

I consider my own creations to be sentient beings as soon as I give them so much as one point of Intelligence. Until that, they're bacteria. But once I do, I get my character to protect them with his life, as they do for me.

Geneforge, to me, seems less post-apocalyptic and more pre-apocalyptic. All the new technology, the discovery of megapowerful creations, the growing conflict, it all seems to lead up to the fantasy equivalent of nuclear devastation, or some such.

[ Tuesday, May 03, 2005 07:48: Message edited by: Spider Watermelon ]

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by bogus standard candidate:

However: what did the Shapers use as lifestock before they learned to create ornks? Perhaps there was lifestock and the Shapers in their obsession to create and control their environment did away with it? And while we're at it, what about game? These guys are a mystery.
The message you get the first time you encounter ornks in Geneforge 1 pretty much explicitly says that Shapers do use livestock other than ornks; ornks are just for particularly hostile environments where other, less hardy livestock are unsuitable.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5767
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

[The message you get the first time you encounter ornks in Geneforge 1 pretty much explicitly says that Shapers do use livestock other than ornks; ornks are just for particularly hostile environments where other, less hardy livestock are unsuitable.[/QB]
This is a good point, in GF1, Sulia(?) Island was inhabited for research only and we're told research creates many rogues necessitating having livestock that can defend itself. GF2 was set in a harsh land that had only recently been made easily habitable so shapers would use ornks, livestock that they can modify to suit the conditions. I think GF3's Ashen Islands would use ornks due too the difficulty of transporting livestock long distances, particularly by boat, I feel the shapers would simply shape all the ornks they needed for the first colony when they arrived. I think none of the game setting have had other livestock because it was more efficient to use ornks.

--------------------
Death is just an engineering problem.

Pages