I hit a wall (stuck)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I hit a wall (stuck)
Apprentice
Member # 2153
Profile #0
I started playing GF2 again recently as a guardian, and everything was going fine - infact *too* fine - until I got stuck.
I've cleared all the areas up to the Taker Toll Road, The Shade Patrol, and Benerri-Uss Entry. With the exception of the Icy Breeding Pit, I was essentially crushing everything in my path - which is far better than I recall for my shaper, which sort of had a moderate level of difficulty throughout.

However, I find that with my level 36 guardian I get slaughtered when I enter the shade patrol.
And as for the Taker Toll road, I havn't exactly done much exploring as of yet - I entered from the south and theres a bunch of dryaks like no other there. A bunch of dryaks that slaughter me.

Oh, and as for Benerii-Uss Entry, I havn't entered that yet and I don't intend to until I figure out how to crush those blasted dryaks that are killing me. *Being stubborn*

So, I figure I must be doing something wrong. Somewhere I'm guessing that I have messed up my point allocation, so if you guys could lend you expertise I'd appreciate it :)

Heres a quick rundown of my character (with items equipped):
Guardian level 36

Prinary stats
str/dex/int/end: 10/5/4/6

Combat
Mel/Mis/Quick/Parry : 14/5/12/13

I have 2 points in mental magic for unlock doors.
leadership/mechanics/luck: 9/12/5

I also sunk 3 points into Magic creations thinking that I might want to have a pet gazer when I could finally create one, however lately I'm thinking that I don't have enough essense to maintain a half decent creation in the first place so it may have been a waste of points.

I've essentially avoided using the canisters (I've probably used under 5 up till now), although that was more becuase I wanted to use them after I'd invested skill points fully than because of any adherence to shaper guidelines :P

I'm also not aligned with anyone. Actually, for most part I've avoided giving opinions but I'm thinking of rotating through membership with all of the sects starting with Awakened, and ending with the Loyalists. Not sure how that will turn out, but if anyone has tried it and found its impossible (I figure that I have enough "opinions" left to tip it whatever way I want though) then I'd like to hear about it.

In any case, I have 11 points left to spend. Any glaring mistakes will have to be corrected with those 11 points.

Anyways, I've been quite long winded so I hope I havn't overly bored you guys.
Suggestions?
Lifecrafter
Member # 54
Profile #1
The Shade Patrol was designed for stealth, not combat. Have your main character hide in one of the branches until you know the shades have passed; repeat as needed. Making a creation and putting it on the main road will help, as the shades won't notice your creations. If you get to the northwest corner, you can deactivate the power spirals with enough mechanics; this also stops the machines from making more shades.

(684)
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
Dryaks at Taker Tall Road are very difficult, even with Parry at 15. Try to fight them 1 or 2 at a time. As soon as one of them sees you, run to hide behind a distant corner. That should give you time to deal with a couple of them before the rest get there. Use speed spores, instead of spell to get yourself extra time during first round of combat. And make sure you take out all the groups and the cryodryaks near exit before dealing with the Drakon. Even with these tricks, it still took me a few trials to take out each group as a guardian.

PS Try to get your parry high enough for a 50% chance of ripost. (There are some Parry canisters in the game.) That 50% ripost often does more damage than your own attacks.

[ Sunday, June 19, 2005 13:16: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 2153
Profile #3
Well I got lucky with the dryaks at the toll road after I posted (figures). For some reason, I managed to fight them in groups of 2 - 3 by running away. Which is odd because I did the same thing before and all of them would come running once I hit the first dryak.

Anyways, with the parry skill, I assume that you get 50% chance of parrying and riptose once with get a it to 15 (since thats the number everyone seems to be throwing around). Does this mean that anything beyond that is wasted? (IE, putting in a 16th or 17th point into Parry gets you nothing and is wasted)
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Telanos:

Anyways, with the parry skill, I assume that you get 50% chance of parrying and riptose once with get a it to 15 (since thats the number everyone seems to be throwing around). Does this mean that anything beyond that is wasted? (IE, putting in a 16th or 17th point into Parry gets you nothing and is wasted)

Yes, it appears to be useless to raise your parry beyond the point at which you get 50% ripost chance. (I don't remember if it happens at 15, or some higher level.) There might be some more subtle effects at higher levels, but I never noticed any.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.