What da heck happened to Parry?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What da heck happened to Parry?
Apprentice
Member # 3647
Profile #0
In Geneforge 2, this skill ruled.

I just downloaded Geneforge 3, and I found the skill to be mediocre. With level 9 Parry in G2, I'd be blocking projectiles and swings left and right; in G3, it does jack.

How is a Guardian suppose to go toe to toe now?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
You might want to take a look at two threads on exactly the same thing: Parry nerfed and Parry not so nerfed?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #2
Nice to see you changed your name back Kel the thurylandon was getting disturbing (if it was different than the way I wrote it sorry but I should have been in bed over three hours ago) (but it was still funny :P )
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
Here's an idea Kingkelthuryl Hawkandon. ;)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Here's an idea Kingkelthuryl Hawkandon. ;)
Maybe I will :P
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
To summarize those earlier threads:
Parry is different now. There are no Ripostes. Your chance of totally blocking an attack, with that 'tching-tching' sound effect and all, is now about what your Riposte chance was in G2. It happens quite rarely until you get to very high levels in the skill. So it isn't the skill's main effect any more.

What Parry does now, mainly, is act as weightless armor. It invisibly reduces the damage you take. This is pretty good, actually.

So the bottom line is that Parry is an effective skill, which Guardians especially should take advantage of. It just isn't the gamebreaker it was in G2. And it definitely is not worth sacrificing all your other attributes, when you are initially building your character, just to start the game with a ridiculously high Parry. In G2 that was the dirty trick that made Guardians extremely easy. Doing the same thing in G3 will probably leave you suffering badly on Harmony Isle.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
Did we ever conclude whether the "weightless armor" effect reduces damage from all attacks, or just the plain physical ones that regular armor is good against?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #7
Parry was insane. I was getting 50% parry rate in the GF2 demo, using an Agent.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.