Artifact List? Also, Shaped Boots??

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Artifact List? Also, Shaped Boots??
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #0
So I'm cruising through Geneforge 3 with Matt P's guide (ok Matt, your guide is actually very nice. Not up to my unrealistic anal-retentive "must-complete-everything-graahhhh" standards but still very nice :P ;) ) and am starting to get a good deal of shaped items.

Going from the guide there are only... eight artifacts in the entire game? And none of them happen to be artifact boots, correct? If so, I'm a bit confused as to why Shaped Boots exist as I can enchant any boots I please with the crystals I find.

Just to be sure, here are the artifacts listed in Matt's guide:

Creator Belt
Crystalline Shroud
Essence Aegis
Ring of the Infiltrator
All-protector
Lightning Girdle
Avenger’s Ring
Emerald Chestguard

Also, is it possible to enchance any item more than once? Or use more than one crystal (spike, orb, etc) during the enchanting process?

Thanks!

[ Monday, March 26, 2007 22:50: Message edited by: Eugi ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Those are all the artifacts; there are no artifact boots. Shaped Boots provide decent protection as boots go, but have no other special properties.

And no, you can't enchant an item more than once.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #2
Boots are fairly limited in GF3, though you can find some pretty good ones around and about. I usually use the clover boots, stability boots, gazerskin sandals, and possibly the quicksilver sandals, for a character with high strength.

But yeah, the only purpose of the shaped boots is to wear some heavy boots with a decent armor rating. Even then, there are better boots available by the time you find a pair.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #3
Um, really? :(

So far I'm five areas short of finishing Dhonal Island and still wearing enchanted Vat Boots (slapped a Runed Amethyst on them) :x

What about the Gem List and Gem Effects then? Is that as complete as can be in Matt's guide?

FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #4
The clover boots may be better than the vat boots as each point of luck also increases all of your resistances (and armor), whereas the vat boots only increase poison and acid resistance. If you've nearly finished Dhonal isle, then you should have found some earlier on the island.

Yes, the gem effect list is complete for the types of gems you can find in GF3. I'm not sure if onyx crystals are called onyx crystals or "runed onyx," but the effect is the same. Oh, and I think the bonus from ivory skull on armor is +10% to hit, not 5%, and the tiny orb of mist decreases your chance to be hit by 10% (based on results from GF4).

I'd recommend putting either onyx crystals or ivory skulls on your weapons. Steel spines and golden crystals are best on your late-game armor, but in the meantime go for the other stuff.

--------------------

Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #5
Edit: Found the Clover Boots... They were just sitting there, out in the open. I ignored them because I thought they were Heavy Boots :rolleyes: Happy though! :D

I just made Crystaline Shroud and smacked a Golden Crystal on it (something that, strangely enough, seems to give me a HER bonus of 12 from the shroud + 13 from the Golden Crystal? Either that or something else is causing my resistances to increase by 25 for all elements instead of the expected 17 when I put the Shroud on).

I also have the Oozing Blade and put a Reviving Cystal on it. I put a Blessed Crystal on my Essence Vambraces early in the game so right now I just have to think about the Ring, Belt, Cloak and Boots (going to use Clover Boots instead of Vat Boots).

I have 5 Blessed Crystals, 4 Ivory Skulls and 3 Steel Spines and a few questions :P

Ivory Skulls - They will add a bonus to hit which seems nice. I have been missing some of my blows but I never understood the "Missed (##%)" line that comes up. Does that mean that I missed by that much? What does that mean?! @_@

Steel Spines - Will they reflect daamge (thus lessening damage to me)? Or is the damage they deal based somehow on the damage I receive (thus the better armored I am the worse the spine effect)? Will ranged attackers also feel the hurt from the spines or only the melee ones?

Blessed Crystals - These are basically a shoo-in for whatever needs to be enchanted really :P

Finally, if it helps, here's what I'm wearing now as a level 27 "25% melee 75% ranged" Guardian:

Symbiotic Cloak
Girdle of Life
Clover Boots
Blessed Necklace
Miner's Gloves
Crystalline Shroud
Essence Vambraces
Oozing Blade/Submission Baton

Thank you for all the help guys! :D

[ Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:43: Message edited by: Eugi ]
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #6
The spines don't take away damage they just deal a percentage of melee damage (without amour) back to your attacker. And if I were you, I wouldn't make the all-protector. The Essence Aegis or the quicksilver bulwark is much better.

[ Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:59: Message edited by: Leftover Sauerkraut ]

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Leftover Sauerkraut:

The spines don't take away damage they just deal a percentage of melee damage (without amour) back to your attacker.
Ok so just to be 100% clear, Spines won't do squat to enemies that cast magic spells on me or that shoot me with melee attacks (quick aside, strange that there are Batons and Javelines... but no Bows. Weird.) correct?

Therefore the usefulness of Spines is diminished because most of the Geneforge combat is ranged?

Finally, could someone please chime in and explain the statistics that display whenever someone misses a hit? Meaning the "Missed: (##%)" thing. Thanks!
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Eugi:

Finally, could someone please chime in and explain the statistics that display whenever someone misses a hit? Meaning the "Missed: (##%)" thing. Thanks!
Simple. It's the percent chance you have of hitting something--or vice versa, depending on who's doing the hitting. So if your Battle Alpha punches a Glaahk and misses, you'd get a message like "Missed (80%)." Therefore your creation's chance of hitting the Glaahk would be 80%.

[ Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:59: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Eugi:

I just made Crystaline Shroud and smacked a Golden Crystal on it (something that, strangely enough, seems to give me a HER bonus of 12 from the shroud + 13 from the Golden Crystal? Either that or something else is causing my resistances to increase by 25 for all elements instead of the expected 17 when I put the Shroud on).

Armor also increases your fire, ice, and energy resistance by 1 point for every two points of armor. So the effect you're seeing is probably just caused by the increase of armor, in addition to the golden crystal.

--------------------

Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #10
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I'm thinking that there's no point to spread out too thin.

I'll either use four Blessed Crystals (for a total of +20% armor) on my four un-enchanted equipment pieces (bringing my total armor up to 90%) or three Spines (wish I knew if they did anything against magic and baton/javelin damage and if they stacked) and an Ivory Skull.

A much appreciated last call for suggestions!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Spines don't do anything against missile attacks, but multiple spines do stack.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!