A complete game editor?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A complete game editor?
Apprentice
Member # 4044
Profile #0
Was just curious if anyone is working on (or planning on working on) a full, detailed game editor like was available for GF 1 & 2.
I'm talking the kind of thing where you can bump individual stats by a single point, raise levels of spells, give items, etc.

I enjoy playing with that type of capability (ok...so I admit it...I cheat!!!) It's nice to be able, when facing a tough situation, to 'toughen up' your character without waiting hours of gameplay time for your character to get there on his own.

Anyway, such a thing would be much appreciated by me. Since I know nothing of writing scripts, the data files,etc., producing it myself is WAY beyond my capabilities.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by Scubasinger:

Was just curious if anyone is working on (or planning on working on) a full, detailed game editor like was available for GF 1 & 2.
I'm talking the kind of thing where you can bump individual stats by a single point, raise levels of spells, give items, etc.

I enjoy playing with that type of capability (ok...so I admit it...I cheat!!!) It's nice to be able, when facing a tough situation, to 'toughen up' your character without waiting hours of gameplay time for your character to get there on his own.

Anyway, such a thing would be much appreciated by me. Since I know nothing of writing scripts, the data files,etc., producing it myself is WAY beyond my capabilities.

i would be doing that i have the codes for spells creations and skills but i cant script so if someone will do the scripting i will provide the codes and such deal ? i have unlimited time to get stuff for doing things like the codes for upgrading alwan and greta i just need someone to script
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #2
Post a list of the codes for spells, skills, creations, special items, and commonly needed items. My knowledge of scripting is limited, but I'll play around with it if the information is available. If I am unable (very likely) than the information will be useful to someone who can.

[ Saturday, April 16, 2005 10:31: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5672
Profile #3
Could someone tell a complete dummie (me) what
the word "codes" means? And what are "scripting
abilities"? But excuse me if I say the obvious,
opening Geneforge with a Resourserer (or some
kind of resource editor) you can see lots of
text-like information such as the list of all quests
and their description, the list of all items, the
list of all characters and so on. I have not looked
at any of the game files, but I am sure one can get
a lot of information about the game as well.
If someone could tell me how the information is
stored in the save game file (and where it is)
I do not think it would be difficult to write
a C program or something like it. But I am
probably missing the whole point of this discussion, so please explain me.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
Go into the Geneforge 3 files folder. In there are the saved games and the scripts folder. Scripting ability is competency of lack of to write the language the games works in. You can manipulate the codes in Simpletext, saving as a .txt of course. If you know C than it should be fairly simple to figure out.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Eigenvalue:

Could someone tell a complete dummie (me) what
the word "codes" means? And what are "scripting
abilities"? But excuse me if I say the obvious,
and their description, the list of all items, the
list of all characters and so on. I have not looked
at any of the game files, but I am sure one can get
a lot of information about the game as well.
If someone could tell me how the information is
stored in the save game file (and where it is)
I do not think it would be difficult to write
a C program or something like it. But I am
probably missing the whole point of this discussion, so please explain me.

quote:
excuse me if I say the obvious,
and their description
quote:
you can see lots of
and their description
quote:
list of all quests and their description
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
tell me more ;)
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
What was the point of that?
Apprentice
Member # 5672
Profile #7
Dolphin, thanks for your explanation.
Just one more question: if somebody does write a script, calling it "editor.txt", how does the game know to execute it? Or is the point to rewrite an existing script, for example the one corresponding to the very beginning of the game, to ask a series of questions whose answer will determine how to upgrade the character, which items to give and so on? Theoretically one would want to see a scrollable list of items and just choose the items he wishes, and to see the statistics/abilities windows as the game provides and just increase/decrease the desired statistics. Can a script do something that complicated? By the way, this scripting language, is it used only by Geneforge or also by other software, i.e. is this something common or something which exists only for Geneforge? Well, sorry if this was more than one question.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #8
You would replace an existing dialogue script. Look at the Geneforge 1 and 2 editors to get an example. The training ground is z10testingdlg.txt this would be a good place to put it. What you described is indeed how it works. The player would look at an obelisk or example and have the option to add money, experience, skills, spells, items and so on. Jeff uses “Avernum Script” my knowledge is limited, so I am unable to explain this in great detail. I taught myself with assistance from the community, so I all I know of it is what I see.

You can do far more complicated things than the simple commands of the editor. Look through the files and see what was constructed for the game.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

What was the point of that?
HE SAID HE COULD GET THE QUEST DISCREPTIAN'S (SORRY NO SPELL CHECK USING A WINDOWS AT MY LIBRARY DIE WINDOWS DIE)I GO TO MY LIBRARY EVERY DAY FROM 9 TO 12 SO I USE THERE PCS THEY ARE EVIL EVIL SLOW MACHENES WITH NO SPELL CHEKING SYSTEM

ANYWAY I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE oh crap i just realized i have bin using caps lock the entire time i have typed sorry :( okay back to buisness
i thought it would be cool to look at the spell andd creature descriptians so i could edit the creation descriptians and stuff thatway i could edit it so that the parts that i have changed to serviles wouldnt still talk about thahds and on Ill type more later bye
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #10
I was not referring to what you are trying to do. I was referring to the post just above the post where I asked what the point was.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Hawk King has only one point, and it is located at a part of his anatomy where most people are not pointy.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #12
Simple to get one. Go to this topic and scroll to the bottom of the page to find my post explaining it.

EDIT: Sorry, but the Change Quests option in the editor might do strange things, cos' i haven't edited it for GF3.

[ Monday, April 18, 2005 23:52: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.