Hmmm... Balence

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hmmm... Balence
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #0
Recently, there has been a reel of threads on balence in this forum, all concluding and talking about different things. Is it just me, or is Geneforge a lot more problematic in this respect than Avernum? And do any of you think that balence is possible, considering that there is set classes?

--------------------
Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?
A: The sound of someone getting smacked upside the head.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a good side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Don't worry Alorael, custom titles are overrated.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #1
Let's remember that in Avernum you have four characters with (presumably) different skills, so the issue of balance is less problematic. You aren't reliant on just one strategy, in effect you have four strategies running simultaneously. Thus you are much less likely to run into trouble. Someone with a knowledge of statistics can probably quantify the effect.

PS. It's balance and Alorael. If I don't say it, someone else will.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #2
Also, in Gf3, om respect to A4, there is much more room to "minmax". A4, the choices for character creation are quite simpler to the choices you make in Gf3. The whole shaping system also adds to the amount of "minmax" room you have. There are a lot more character build strategies in Gf3 than there are in A4, unless you play A4 alone.... take the shaper picture while you are at it....

--------------------
Learn from others mistakes. Its safer
and more entertaining than learning on your own.
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #3
Its just occurred to me that balance based on the G1 model is much simpler, as the amount for skills doesn't change, so advantages are permenant.

[ Monday, May 29, 2006 17:40: Message edited by: I like fluffy kitties on rye ]

--------------------
Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?
A: The sound of someone getting smacked upside the head.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a good side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Don't worry Alorael, custom titles are overrated.