Outdoor Assignment....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Outdoor Assignment....
Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #0
Does anyone know if it is possible to change what outdoor section is moved into from which outdoor section? I have one section in my scenario where the place is filled with all kinds of debris and swamp land. A quest can be completed where all of that land is re-developed and made lush and green.
I am not sure if I can just have a script replace each individual terrain square and have it stick for the rest of the game, but the next problem I am thinking of if I do something like that would be the tedium of it.....that would be A LOT of "replace this with..." statments...ouch.

Anyone know of a way to do this?

--------------------
"I am not stubborn, your just stupid."
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #1
This is just an idea, there may be cleaner ways, I'm not sure.

Make two versions of your outdoors, one that's all messy, one nice and clean. Then you can just move the party to the clean one whenever they exit a town when they've completed the quest. This shouldn't be a problem since quests are usually completed in towns anyway. Use change_outdoor_location() when the party exits town and has completed the quest, so the party will show up in the clean outdoors. So long as the two outdoors never touch, it won't be a problem.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
If it's just one section then you can use while() calls to check every single tile, one row at a time, and change the tile to something else if it fits or doesn't fit certain standards.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #3
The big problem here is that there is a town that is in the area, and it is the cause of the quest, but they have the ability to move to another outdoor section and just walking back to the old messy one. It wouldn't work the way you're saying Lazarus.

As for the while() statments, that would take enough time to do every time the party enters that outdoor section that it would become a bother to enter that section. Unless the scripts are able to execute a lot faster than I thought....

Thanks for the tips though...I'm still looking for something more efficient, but I may need to concider the while() statement.... :rolleyes:

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
Well my idea would assume that you would re-draw that second outdoor section as well (even if its only an exact import of the original). This way, once the party was moved to the new outdoors they would never see the original outdoors again.

If you decide to use rectangle calls then heres a few tips. If you're doing floors then I would have some sort of randomness to the floor assignment, that way the outdoors isn't one big bland area, and you can easily add some frills. If you're doing terrain then its more difficult, although you could have one terrain for the "debris" terrain, then just clear it and replace it with a random "clean" terrain (for example a tree or bush.) it would look something like
(if(get_terrain(locx,locy) == (debris terrain))
set_terrain(locx,locy,get_ran(1,(lowest number of clean terrain),(highest number of clean terrain))
This way the rectangle calls won't make your outdoors too plain, or draw over important things like roads or cities.
I'd still do it the way I suggested, unless you have more than 4 or so outdoor sections its really the easiest way.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

Well my idea would assume that you would re-draw that second outdoor section as well (even if its only an exact import of the original). This way, once the party was moved to the new outdoors they would never see the original outdoors again.
That sounds exactly like what I was thinking I could do and why I am asking. The problem is, I don't think it is possible to change that specific location permanently:

Outdoor sheet size of 2x3. Section 0x0 changes from being desolate to well groomed and so it must be switched to display 0x3 as opposed to the original 0x0. This is how I originally planned it but I don't know how to do it. What stops the party from walking into, say, 0x1 and back to 0x0 where the original 0x0 still is? I like the way this is sounding, but I am still mildly confused as how to implement it.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #6
Here's a quick drawing (I love drawings) to illustrate my point. I'll use a 2x2 outdoors section, but it doesn't really matter about the size.

b1 d1 | b2 d2
a1 c1 | a2 c2

If A is the only outdoors you're changing, then make A2 the clean version of A1. Then move the party to A2, and notice that they are in a completely different "world" than the original outdoors. The party will never see the first four(the 1 series) of outdoors, only the 2 series.

The party can still go to the other outdoors sections, but when they are walking to what looks like the b1 outdoors, they are really in the b2 outdoors. The party won't know the difference, since they will be identical.

--------------------

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
They will notice, at least - the rest of the world will suddenly become entirely unexplored, even if it's exactly the same.

This is really a minor quibble, though, especially if you're sure to make sure you cannot encounter the same encounter in the old world and the new world both.

If this is too much of a problem for you, or it would be too much of a hassle to implement the new world into your scenarios, drastically changing the terrain via script may be your only option.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #8
Hmmm, doubling the scenario size. An alternative would be to tightly control the entrance to the part of the outdoors you wish to change. Use a town you must walk through (like Fort Remote or Spire) in order to get from one section to the other.

So using Lazarus' notation, my preference would be:

b d
a c1 | c2

and you have mountains, rivers etc which limit the number of routes a->c and d->c to 2-3 towns, which are set up with appropriate move party outdoors instructions to decide between c1 and c2.

[ Monday, September 04, 2006 11:27: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #9
That would be ideal, but I am pretty sure he wants to make an outdoor section in the middle of the world become transformed.

Anyway, I would suggest using the terrain changing script with some careful map design to keep the mechanics hidden from the player.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.