move_to_new_town problems

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: move_to_new_town problems
Apprentice
Member # 6667
Profile #0
So, after playing around with a few different concepts, I have suddenly found problems with the move_to_new_town call. I gather from reading the other threads that others have experienced these problems, too.

In essence, the code is inserted into a script, like a special encounter. Instead of transporting the party to the new town, it crashes, and shuts down BoA.

Anybody know how to avoid this bug?

--------------------
*There is no fate that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.*
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
move_to_new_town can only be called from a state that the party actually steps on, not a START_STATE, etc.

Make sure you check that you are indeed placing the party in a valid town.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #2
Also, I think move_to_new_town calls the EXIT_STATE and INIT_STATE in the town you leave from and the town you enter, respectively. So it might be worth checking that nothing in those states is causing the crash.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I've never seen move_to_new_town by itself cause a crash that kills BoA. Normally when one uses it improperly, it functions like an "end": it stops running script. This lends support to wz. arsenic's point.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
Do you get some sort of error message? An unhandled exception or something? I may have had a similar situation once but I no longer have that problem.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Sentence structure.

[ Thursday, January 26, 2006 16:12: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Apprentice
Member # 6667
Profile #5
My thanks to you, wz. arsenic... as you pinpointed my problem precisely. I had suspected that the move_to_new_town call used the EXIT_STATE of the town you are in, but I had no idea that it also used the INIT_STATE of the town you are moving to. Turns out I was missing a ; in my INIT_STATE of the new town.

Strange, though, that I received no error messages when activating the move_to_new_town script from my special encounter. It simply shut down the game. It would be nice if it gave an error message, like undefined town, or something like that, and the encounter didn't work, instead.

--------------------
*There is no fate that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.*
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Missing semicolons are tricky things, and BoA isn't very good at recognising them -- instead, it processes everything after the missing semicolon in weird and inappropriate ways. In some cases, it gives an error message that's likely to be confusing or misleading; in other cases, like yours, it causes a crash.

You might want to consider getting Alint and using that to check your scripts. It's somewhat better at giving accurate messages than BoA is, and using it is less tedious than exhaustive playtesting to root out script errors.

[ Friday, January 27, 2006 05:33: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!