intro pictures

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: intro pictures
Warrior
Member # 5861
Profile Homepage #0
Ok, I'm slightly confused and I'm just starting LOL. I've been reading up on how to put in pictures for the intro text and I have a couple of questions.
1. What are sheets??
2. How do I find out if a picture I want to use is at 72 dpi and if it's 8 or 16 bit? I've been trying but can't find any such info on the picture.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by iluvhorses:

Ok, I'm slightly confused and I'm just starting LOL. I've been reading up on how to put in pictures for the intro text and I have a couple of questions.
1. What are sheets??

If you're on Windows, a sheet is an individual graphics file. For example, if inside a scenario folder you see a file with a name like G500.bmp, that's a sheet. If you're on Mac OS, a sheet is an individual resource number within the scenario's .cmg file.

quote:
2. How do I find out if a picture I want to use is at 72 dpi and if it's 8 or 16 bit? I've been trying but can't find any such info on the picture.
Most images designed to be displayed on a computer screen are at 72 dpi. 8 bit means 256 colours; 16 bit means thousands of colours. (A good graphic editing program should be able to tell you the colour depth of an image.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
By the way, looking at examples (like Valley of the Dying Things) is very useful.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5861
Profile Homepage #3
Thanks guys :) I've figured out how to do it, but I do have another slight problem. The picture that I want to use, although it's 406x450, it's also about 530K. Is there anyway I can make it smaller without making the picture look smaller??? I was looking at the VoDT's cmg files, and the pics are like 73k, 40k, and yet they look bigger than my picture.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
One way to reduce file size is to reduce the colour depth to 8-bit. This will give you a very significant improvement in file size, but may make the colours look a little funny. Try it and see how it works.

Don't worry too much if the image ends up big, though. It'll compress down fairly well, so it certainly won't add 530 kB to the actual download size of the scenario.

[ Monday, January 09, 2006 18:18: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5861
Profile Homepage #5
It already is 8-bit. Ok, I reduced the size just to see if the 530k was what my problem was. I kept getting an error message when i would try to enter the scenario. Error message is:

Error!
The game just failed to load this graphic: sheet 550, icon 0. the editor might have run out of memory but more likely the graphic it was trying to find wasn't there.

What did I do wrong? I even numbered it 500 and it still didn't work. I have the cmg file in the scenario file, and I have the resource number in the field for intro text, so... could it be because I haven't actually designed anything for the scenario yet?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Now that you mention it, there might be a maximum file size on images. Try to reduce it as best you can, I suppose.

[ Monday, January 09, 2006 18:32: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5861
Profile Homepage #7
I reduced it to about 112K and still got the error message.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Is everything named properly? That is, if your scenario's bas file is titled horses.bas (for example), your cmg file should be titled horses.cmg.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5861
Profile Homepage #9
Yup, things are named properly. It's actually .cmg.rsrc (i'm using ResFool), but the names are correct. Could the .rsrc be the problem?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
That might be it. Every working file I see has a .cmg tag, not a .cmg.rscr tag. Try removing the .rscr part and see it works.

If not, create a new .cmg file in ResFool and copy a couple images from an existing, working .cmg file for another scenario and try that one with your scenario. If it works, then try copying your original image in; it not, then we'll get to that if it comes up.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
The error mentioned G550.bmp

You mentioned G500.bmp

Is this the problem?

*this message sponsored by the number 5*

--------------------
WWtNSD?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Yeah, it has to have just .cmg as the extension. The Finder will probably complain if you try to remove the .rsrc extension, but ignore it and do so anyway.

quote:
The error mentioned G550.bmp

You mentioned G500.bmp

Is this the problem?

I took her post to imply that she'd tried using several different sheet numbers.

[ Monday, January 09, 2006 23:27: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5861
Profile Homepage #13
I got it to work! I decided to download ResEdit and use that instead, and it worked this time. It was ResFool's problem, it wasn't working at all with ResFool for some reason, even though it says in the editor manual that you can use ResFool. Anyway,thanks for your help guys, it works now!!!