Thralni and the orb

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Thralni and the orb
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Early frescos and cave paintings are mentioned throughout the Exile/Avernum series and completely predate the First Expedition and are hints at either another human civilization or humanoid races like Sliths, Nephilim, or Vahnatai.
Particularly the ancient crypt near Motrax, which has frescos (or something — I forget what exactly) that appear human to the heroes of A1 and seem to predate the First Expedition. I'm not sure about vahnatai, but I'd think the A1 heroes could tell the difference between men and lizard-men or cat-men.

As for where the info came from, Motrax is only too happy to tell his part of the story when you ask him. I don't doubt that others were around who knew other parts as well.

[ Wednesday, September 14, 2005 12:28: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #26
They also left notes, clues as to what happened. It is fairly obvious for other parts as well, like when you find the hilt of a legendary demon-killing sword sent down with the first expedition, you'd probably guess that it was broken and the pieces scattered.

You're also forgetting the magical abilities of the group. Several powerful mages would have gone with them, and surely they could send messages to the surface. Otherwise, magical scrying could have been used to track the explorers. Due to the extreme depth of the caves, I'd think it more unlikely that the mages sent word up rather then the Empire mages having to try and find the location of the travelers through scrying, but its still possible.

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Master Xan:

You're also forgetting the magical abilities of the group. Several powerful mages would have gone with them, and surely they could send messages to the surface. Otherwise, magical scrying could have been used to track the explorers. Due to the extreme depth of the caves, I'd think it more unlikely that the mages sent word up rather then the Empire mages having to try and find the location of the travelers through scrying, but its still possible.
The brooches were communication devices. I don't think it's ever made clear whether they were used for communicating with each other, with the surface, or both, but given that they're capable of teleporting someone to the surface, they're probably capable of communicating with it too.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #28
quote:
The brooches were communication devices. I don't think it's ever made clear whether they were used for communicating with each other, with the surface, or both, but given that they're capable of teleporting someone to the surface, they're probably capable of communicating with it too
I'd forgoten all about them, I really should replay it again sometime. Anyway I'm not sure there was much communication with the surface. I always envisaged the expedition as a Heart of Darkness style nightmare with a bunch of what presumably were the Empires finest warriors and mages trapped in a living hell, cut off, isolated, with equpiment failing that sort of thing.

I took the purpose of the expedition to reflect not just the whole man vs nature thing but also the contrast in the war between Avernum and the Empire later, with ingenuity trumping brute strength.

Still the cave frescoes of earlier humans are pretty interesting.

[ Wednesday, September 14, 2005 21:51: Message edited by: Poit ]

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me

Pages