Install editor / readme file help

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Install editor / readme file help
Apprentice
Member # 6090
Profile #0
I'm very sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I just downloaded the BoA scenario editor (for Windows) and can't figure out how to install it.

The Scenario Workshop page says to look at the README file once I have the editor, but I can't find that, either. I just got an icon that says "BoAEditor", and when I click on it, a window pops up asking me what program I want to use to open it. There is nothing resembling a README file that I can find.

Can anyone tell me where to access this README file, or better yet give me instructions on how to install the thing? (Also, does Blades of Avernum need to be registered before the Editor will do anything, for that matter? I know I need the registered version to play other scenarios, but do I need it to create them?)

--------------------
"For every complicated problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." --Unknown.

"Most problems can be ignored. The more difficult ones can be slept through." --Cat proverb.

"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe." --Dr. Beverly Crusher, Star Trek: TNG.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
You don't need to be registered to use the editor (although it does help with testing your scenario).

Sorry that I can't help you with your problem, but I use a Mac. It does sound like your download cut off prematurely. I would try downloading again.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I can't answer the main question, but I can answer the secondary one. You do not need to be registered to use the editor, but you'll want to register fairly soon if you actually start making a scenario, because it's nearly impossible to make any sort of scenario without testing it out yourself.

You also should know about the 3D Editor, which is a big improvement over the normal editor.

EDIT: Same time. Yeah.

[ Saturday, July 09, 2005 14:42: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
Well, we've been on the same page recently ...

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #4
Your download is corrupt. You should get a .zip file with the BoAeditor.exe, Editor Docs and Appendix, Readme, Licensetext and several other files.

[ Saturday, July 09, 2005 15:04: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
Although the download page at Spiderweb doesn't mention it, and it isn't necessary for downloading the game, you do need 3rd party software to open and install BoAEditor.zip

I would recommend checking download.com for their picks on unzipping software. I have two on my PC, PKzip and WinZip. Both are unregistered shareware, so I put up with an ad reminder, but they work perfectly well.

Have fun designing, read through scripts in other designers scenarios, and register the game! It makes life much easier.

*this message sponsored by gates - grinning at their extra software*

[ Saturday, July 09, 2005 16:26: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
WWtNSD?