Doors

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Doors
Apprentice
Member # 6011
Profile Homepage #0
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and, having just finished the four basic scenarios that came with BoA, I decided to start playing around with the editor. I've been slowly learning how to use it for about a week now, and everything was going pretty well but now I've hit a snag that's probably going to make me look like an idiot.

I've scoured the manual and appendices, but I just haven't had any luck. Anyway, here's my problem:

I'm trying to get a door to unlock once a dialogue node is activated. I set an SDF to 1 in the node, and pointed the door's memory cells to that SDF, but it just isn't happening. Am I doing this right?

I'm also having quite a bit of trouble understanding the manual most of the time, so I was also wondering if there was any extra documentation out there that I've missed? Cheers.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
There are any number of things that could be going wrong with the door script. The first one I'd check is that the right flag is getting set. Put a special encounter right before that calls a simple print_num(get_flag(whatever_x,whatever_y)) to make sure that it's actually getting set.

You might want to check out the Designer FAQ and the Comprehensive Links for additional help beyond what the manual will tell you. And the best way to learn to script is by looking at examples in other scenarios, rather than reading the manual (after getting the bare-bones basics under your belt).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6011
Profile Homepage #2
Ah, yeah, it turns out it wasn't setting the flag.

This was because I had two action lines in the node, one to end the conversation and the other to set the flag. I set the flag in the code line, and it works fine now.

Thanks Kelandon, I thought you could have as many action lines as required.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Although your question is answered, i thought you might also want to hear this. What you could do, but its maybe not what you want, that you use the call flip_terrain, to swap the closed door with an open door.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Easier to go with the built-in unlocking capability, though.

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 08:55: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Just changing the terrain without setting an unlocking flag is a bad solution because if the party manually closes the door, it'll then be locked again.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
Well, yes. You are right about the flag. You could however set a flag to 1 if the door is opened.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!