Leaving towns via scripting

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Leaving towns via scripting
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #0
Okay, here's a problem. I can't get a party to leave a town using change_outdoor_location... the party's meant to leave a cave via a set of stairs which has the scripting:

change_outdoor_location(1,1,37,23);

All this does is move the town itself to that location, so the party has to head back out the entrance again. I want the party to get sent out of the town directly into the outdoors... and I can't find a way to do that.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
I have emailed you some possible solutions. I see now that my personal favorite, the conveyor script, may not be appropriate, and you may have to do it Jeff's way.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
The short answer, by the way, is that there's no way to force a party directly out of town -- the best you can do is put them in a situation where they can't do anything except leave.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
Not true! I've done it. It was part of an experiment with a conveyor belt script, and I watched it hurl the party right out of a town. I have just tested it again and it is a reproducible effect. However, it may not be a very good thing to do. It can be done though.

EDIT: fixed typos

[ Tuesday, May 31, 2005 19:26: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
How about this. If this is a walled city, make a copy of it, but with gates closed. Then use the move_to_new_town call to place them outside the city gates. You could modify this somehow depending on the circumstances, but the fake town method should work. I'm not sure how you could deal with them immediately re-entering the town, or the confusion when they leave the town to appear in the wrong area. Perhaps some other call in a different script would help there...

Edit: Stupid me. I didn't think it through. When it comes time to force them out of town, use terrain flipping on your gates, or place terrain like stalagmites in cave mouths. Use teleport to place them outside the walls or outside the cave mouth. Set a flag with the current click and if you want, have the scenario script check that flag to figure out when to reflip the terrains. Without having done it, I don't see why that wouldn't work. It also avoids the problem of move_to_new_town only being a terrain script.

[ Tuesday, May 31, 2005 22:32: Message edited by: Smoked Salmon ]

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #5
The Tunnel in CoNR is a good example of this type of scripting. Just take a look at it. I took a look when needing to use a script like this.

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
Thank you for the help, everyone, but that wasn't quite what I had in mind... I just wanted a method for a party to go out via a set of stairs (like they would a portal) and end up in the outdoors automatically. In any case, I learned that it can't be done, and just modified my plot to fit that.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.