Custom Objects Script Base

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Custom Objects Script Base
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
I noticed a while back that BoA comes with a lot more graphics than it actually uses for items, creatures, etc. I thought it was kind of annoying not to know about them (since they don't show up in the editor), so I made a list of all of them and made a custom objects script that adds all of the unused graphics as new things. The idea is that this script can serve as a new base for scenarios — that is, you start with this as your beginning custom objects script and add things onto it for your own scenario.

You can get it on its page on the Codex.

I thought it might generate more discussion than the Codex is really intended to handle, so you can put comments here. Let me know if you know of anything that I mistakenly thought wasn't used in the game but actually is or of anything I missed, and also if there are any kinds of problems with the script.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Groovy. I probably won't make much use of the newly defined-in items as such, but thanks for putting all the graphic numbers in one place so I don't have to poke around and find 'em myself.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
The "V floors look green" part doesn't actually work. And why can't you have BOTH v floors? Like, have the small-tile and large-tile ones separate?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Hmm. Shouldn't the it_floor_which_icon and the it_inventory_icon values for the Crystal Wand be the other way round to what you've put them as?

EDIT: Are sheet 1038 icons 0/1, sheet 1043 icons 6/7, and sheet 1046 icons 6/7 found in the default items? I don't recall them being so. Pretty much all of sheet 1029 and 1036, and some of sheet 1035, should be there too. And some of the amulets in sheet 1041 look unfamiliar (especially 6 and 9), although I'm not so sure about those.

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 18:32: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
TM: Both v-floors? And I meant v-floors looking green in the 2D view, which it definitely does do.

Thuryl: sheet 1038 icons 0 and 1 are the Rough Plate Mail. Apparently the War Charm floor icon is sheet 1041 icon 9.

To be added:
Sheet 1029, icons 0 through 7
Sheet 1036, icons 0 through 9
Sheet 1035, icons 6/7 and 8/9
Sheet 1041, icons 2, 5 and 6
Sheet 1043, icons 6/7
Sheet 1046, icons 6/7

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 18:43: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Thuryl: sheet 1038 icons 0 and 1 are the Rough Plate Mail. Apparently the War Charm floor icon is sheet 1041 icon 9.
Ah, whoops. What about 1037 8/9, then?

Sheet 1021 has some orphan graphics too.

1024 5/6 is another orphan, although not such a useful one.

Oh, and 1005 1/2 and 3/4. And the first four graphics in 1033. And most of 1032, although again most of that isn't so useful.

I'm starting to think it might be most useful to compile all the graphics into a table for reference. At this rate we're going to hit 500 before we find all the orphans.

In fact, I'm whipping up such a table right now. Watch this space.

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 19:09: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Table whipped up. It's rather big pixel-wise, but only 124 kB in file size (GIFs have their uses after all).

http://thuryl.desperance.net/itemsheets.gif

Not sure if this'll be useful to anyone but me, but personally I like having a reference for graphics without needing to go into ResEdit every time.

If anyone else wants to have a go at doing the same for floor, terrain and creature graphics, they're welcome to. I think items are most important, though, since there are often good reasons to avoid using custom item graphics.

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 19:45: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #7
Kel its not working man when i load the stuff into my data folder wich at this time has nothing in it i get a message saying error invalid symbol in line 6 if i fix that it goes on and says error invalid symbol in line eight EDIT: or even better load the stuff into a scenario data file yourself and host it on your site so we can download it and change the name

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 19:58: Message edited by: hawk king ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Hawk King, what do you mean you "loaded it into your data folder"? Do you mean the BoA data folder itself? Are you replacing corescendata with it or something? That would be bad. You're supposed to put it in the scenario folder and use it as part of your scenario's custom objects script.

Anyway, I updated my humble little website with the table of item sheets. I suppose now that it has BoA-related content, a name change is in order. I'll have to think of a new acronym that's just as catchy as the old one.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Hawk King, what do you mean you "loaded it into your data folder"? Do you mean the BoA data folder itself? Are you replacing corescendata with it or something? That would be bad. You're supposed to put it in the scenario folder and use it as part of your scenario's custom objects script.

Anyway, I updated my humble little website with the table of item sheets. I suppose now that it has BoA-related content, a name change is in order. I'll have to think of a new acronym that's just as catchy as the old one.

nope i put it into my scenario data folder and i get the errors listed above
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Hawk King, you need to make a new scenario and make this text file your custom objects script for that new scenario. If you're not a designer, this file is useless for you.

And Thuryl, I'll get to the items whenever I can. If anyone feels like making simple items that use those graphics that I can append to this script, feel free and I'll credit you.

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 21:28: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #11
You'll want to fix terrain 397.

Also, with relation to both V-floors... You use the small-tile V floors with terrains 139 and 140, but don't deign to include the actual base floor. (It's in resource 761, terrain.) So for clarity's sake, DON'T change the editor icon of the resplendent V-floors.

Other orphans... (And no, I don't know what to do with 711 - 8/9, but the rest I do, so ask if you can't tell)

709 - 9

711 - 8/9

726 - 5

727 - 2/8

742 - 8

751 - 5/7

758 - 3
(Although admittedly, the bottom half no longer exists...)

788 - 7/8

----

(Not sure what it could BE- maybe a confusion ray-shooting construct? Confusion Golem? Archmage Perplexos?)

----

"Crystal Wand" should probably use a different skill than thrown weapons- maybe Mage Spells? Or alternatively, have it be just a regular staff that gives resistance to spells or mage spells bonuses- which would make a LOT more sense.

"Bolt of Cloth" has dramatically different floor and inventory icons.

You should try to make the grapes look less disgusting- try tinting them green and lightening them.

Along with the Drake Egg, you should have a regular Egg- the kind that you actually eat.

Why is Steel Shield an item unto itself? Make it the graphic for some of the other, metal shields. (Oh yeah- it's the second most powerful shield in BoA, doing more protection than any other shield actually made out of steel?!)

"Stone" (453) should be "Garnet" or "Spinel"

Not sure why "Bag of Curing Herbs" has to cure disease- Curb the GF influences and just make it a regular bag or something.

The "Lockpick Tool" would be better as the graphic for the Rod of Arcana or something. It looks more like a wand. (Again with the GF influences... ;_; )

"Sword of Slicing" doesn't seem like what that thing does- how about "Parrying Blade" because blades get stuck within the two tines?

"Orange Sword" is golden (or just plain gold), not Orange. The jewel inset leads me to think that it'd best represent an ornamental sword (so high value, but low if any damage) And furthermore, how does it look "flaming"?

Same as above for "Magic Plate Mail"... It's humorously small on the ground.

Rough Plate Mail is WAY broken. The damage it blocks is more than any other armor in the game outside of the HLPM's god items. Shouldn't it block LESS and be WORTH less because of its horrible design?

"Orb of Flight" is probably just an Opal like in ZKR.

"Magician's Gloves" seem to have lots of plates- more than someone valuing free movement of the hands would need. Again, these gloves would be GREAT if they were ornamental- cuz they're beautiful.

Rogue's Cap can be an artifact if you want, but I'd recommend against it- the graphic seems aimed at stylishness that a rogue would use, though.

Magician's Cap also seems to be ornamental.

The red ones (since Ruby is already used) could be "Beryl"

I question your use of the Ruby and Topaz rings, since those graphics are too humorously small to really be used for anything.

----

The slime pool should probably have "dummy" or something as its basic script, since it's immobile.

A king would probably be just as good in combat as an official- ie, not level 20.

The augmented giant has a top- just the wrong one.

----

More as I look over 'em. I stongly urge you not to jump the gun and make orphans artifacts- this is an aesthetic reworking, not a super-powerful game-breaking one.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #12
quote:

Hawk King, you need to make a new scenario and make this text file your custom objects script for that new scenario. If you're not a designer, this file is useless for you.

And Thuryl, I'll get to the items whenever I can. If anyone feels like making simple items that use those graphics that I can append to this script, feel free and I'll credit you.

one i am a designer in progress i am working on the way of the guild which i had to restart because of a crash wat i am saying is when i load your stuff into my data text folder i get errors okay and i am asking if you could load a data text folder with that in it and i could change the name to teotgdata.txt okay ?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
You make me less want to do anything for you by not using punctuation or capitals.

Try again. Getting a script off of the Codex is fundamental to being a designer. I have confidence that you can do it.

EDIT: TM, if you care so much, do it yourself. There's nothing to prevent you from making exactly the same thing, except rendering it however you want it done rather than how I want it done. Obviously these terrains, items, whatever, can be modified by designers and there's nothing authoritative about what I'm doing. It's just to make things easier, and if you don't like it, don't use it.

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 22:30: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5322
Profile #14
um wasnt he like just tryin to help?? anyway i wasnt even aware of the "extra" graphics before this thread so thanks a bunch and i hope someone will use the cool graphics someday. i never have enough cool-lookin and powerful items, hehe :-)
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

EDIT: TM, if you care so much, do it yourself. There's nothing to prevent you from making exactly the same thing, except rendering it however you want it done rather than how I want it done. Obviously these terrains, items, whatever, can be modified by designers and there's nothing authoritative about what I'm doing. It's just to make things easier, and if you don't like it, don't use it.
I plan to- I'm just trying to offer level-headed suggestions is all.
(And just a comment in general- if you have a girlfriend, why are you wasting time here? Go out and get laid- you'll one-up all of us, down to the last.)

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Okay, so I have a solution for the v-floors, but it is somewhat limited by the bug noted on the bugs topic. I just icon adjusted the editor graphic green a bit, which will make the v-floor look green without using the small tile, and I added the small tile floor, but this makes the original v-floor look exactly the same in the editor as it did before. We need to fix the editor before this will have any positive effect.

709 - 9: Yeah, I wasn't sure about this one. I'll add it, I guess, but I'm not sure how it'll look.

711 - 8/9: there are a bunch of these, and I'm not going to add them. I don't think they're real terrains — I don't think they could be used for any good purpose.

726 - 5 is already used as a quern, terrain 251.

I assumed 727 - 2/8 was a vestigial cutaway view of wallset 605. It doesn't seem like it belongs, being a wall and all.

742 - 8 will be added.

751 - 5/7 will be added.

Not much I can do about the unused terrains in 758. One is cut in half, and the other is three high.

788 - 7/8 are already used as trophies, terrains 192 and 193.

1624: For obvious reasons, I'm not going to add this.

So... to be added:

709 - 9
742 - 8
751 - 5/7

1005 - 1-4
1021 - 1-5
1024 - 5/6
1029 - 0-7
1032 - 0/1, 4-9
1033 - 0-3
1036 - 0-9
1035 - 6-9
1037 - 8/9
1041 - 2, 5, 6
1043 - 6/7
1046 - 6/7

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
I completely redid floors, organizing everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. There's the originals, then other outdoor floors I made / incorporated / colorshifted (including some sorta-close adaptations), then there's crops, domestic floors (including granite, red stone and "resplendent"), carpets (of all four types for all three color shifts), mosaics, other (walkway, charred) and Vahnatai.

(I'll upload my rehaul to Desp whenever Djur gets back to me with the password I've forgotten.)

EDIT: And BTW, if you have a copy of EM, 1005 - 1-4 is incredibly easy.

[ Sunday, April 24, 2005 09:37: Message edited by: Papa Donatus II ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #18
A very nice and useful list.

I noticed that "Mound" and "Hole" graphics are in use already, they are Supply Cache and Found Supply Cache.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
Found Supply Cache has a tree graphic, though, and the two don't seem to have the proper relationship.

Regardless, I've cleaned that up for the version I have sitting on my computer. I'll release it once I add in the missing graphics.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
Problem: 1021 3-5 don't have floor graphics. The floor graphic for the necklace is in another sheet, which means it can't be used with those graphics. They look bad if you use the same graphic for the floor as for the inventory. I will omit them for the time being.

The rest of the missing graphics have been added. Check out the new version at the Codex.

--------------------