Cutscenes and Talkmode...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Cutscenes and Talkmode...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
I'm a bare beginner at scripting, and there are a a few things that have driven me to utter despair. One of them is this.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

The party enters a town via teleport. With the first step they take, they get a message played (message_encounter()), telling them that a figure is visible in the distance. When they approach the person, another state automatically enters talk mode. So far, so good.

But now, I want one response in the conversation (several, actually) to end talk mode, display a cutscene, and then re-enter talk mode.

I've tried to do this with the following code:

begintalknode 17;
state = 9;
nextstate = 10;
question = "...";
text1 = "...";
action = END_TALK;
code =
set_state(16); //The cutscene state
break;
Unfortunately, this executes the cutscene before leaving talk mode (I can tell by the way the computer pauses for a few seconds before leaving the talk window. Ouch.

Next, I try this:

begintalknode 17;
state = 9;
nextstate = 10;
question = "...";
text1 = "...";
action = END_TALK;
code =
end();
set_state(16); //The cutscene state
break;
Which, of course, leaves talk mode and does nothing else. The code beyond the end() is not read.

Currently, I've tried a workaround that simply leaves talkmode, and then, when the player walks a step in any direction, starts the cutscene. But it looks very stupid.

The conversation is far too long to use only dialog windows for it (TM has done that in Canopy with conversation between cutscenes, I believe).

Is there any other way?

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
"But it looks very stupid."

*laughs at Bahss*

No, really. There's no real way to do this- whatever "dialogue" you need can be done in a Treason/Tarquin fashion: Have the villain spew something (cutscene, dialog box, it's your choice), and then give the party 2-3 responses via dialog box.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
No, there really isn't another way. Bahssikava does this at one point, and the way I handled it was to end the conversation and begin the cut scene after the party takes a step, just as you describe.

We have wanted to request an END_TALK_STATE, but it hasn't happened yet.

EDIT: Same time as TM.

[ Monday, April 11, 2005 12:33: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Okay, I suppose I'll just do it like that, and make it a little more obvious that the party should just step forward to see.

(Incidentally, I went through that cutscene scene in Bahssikava just moments ago. :D )

Edit: Oh, and yes, in this instance, doing it like in Bahssikava does look stupid. It breaks the line of dialog, and I might be better off doing it like the Trahison cutscenes in Canopy. Perhaps I could end talk mode immediately before the node in question, and use a dialog box for that last bit...

[ Monday, April 11, 2005 13:20: Message edited by: To gleam thereon by Elbereth ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by To gleam thereon by Elbereth:

(Incidentally, I went through that cutscene scene in Bahssikava just moments ago.
You get a certificate from the Department of Redundancy Department. :P

[ Monday, April 11, 2005 14:02: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
:D

The Khassper scene in the Undead city, much more than the one where Kass tells you the Slith history, is roughly what I wanted to do. The way the player has to take another step to begin the scene is annoying, but I suppose it's unavoidable then.

--------------------