Creature Icon Adjustment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Creature Icon Adjustment
Warrior
Member # 1250
Profile #0
Is there a specific order in which the icon adjustments are done to an icon, i.e. swapping red and blue before swapping green and red?

I'm trying to dye some slitherkai red, and my current experimentation in adjusting the icons for the basic slith and the slith warrior haven't done me much good. I looked through Kelandon's data for Bahs, to see if he had some anything similar, and all I found (so far) was an adjustment to make a red *dragon.* Using the same number (4) on a basic slith has yielded nothing good.

Any help about the icon adjustment would be good. If that doesn't work out, I'll just have to go edit the icons manually.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I could've sworn I said this already -- use cr_icon_adjust = 128. It turns 'em nice and red.

EDIT: Not as much as I remember, oddly enough. The warriors get pretty red, but nothing happens to the priests.

[ Tuesday, April 05, 2005 14:41: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1250
Profile #2
I'm sorry, I did try your suggestion first. It seems like when it's used on a basic slith, too, it turns them... a different color of green. Not as green, obviously, but not even brown. And the red tint on the warrior looks okay, but I think that to achieve a fire lizard-esque kind of red, I'll have go in and tinker with a copy of the icon sheet.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #3
begindefinecreature 241;
import = 34;
cr_name = "Red slith";
cr_icon_adjust = 128;
from bas data folder haha
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Oh, yeah, if you want them that red, there's no way icon adjustment will do that for you.

Er, unless you want them ghostly. Then start by inverting the colors and work from there. The slith ghost chiefs in Bahs are an example of what I'm talking about.

Otherwise, yeah, custom graphics are your best bet.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Guardian of Eternity:

Is there a specific order in which the icon adjustments are done to an icon, i.e. swapping red and blue before swapping green and red?
The docs seem to imply that the adjustments are done in increasing order of number (so adjustment #1 is done before #16, which is done before #128).

In some cases, making a graphic lighter as well as adding the tint seems to make the tint show up more than just adding the tint.

[ Tuesday, April 05, 2005 16:58: Message edited by: Levitating Netherlander ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 1250
Profile #6
Also, I meant to ask... is there any short and relatively non-technical explanation as to why the editor shows my red sliths as really red, and the game has them as more of a greeny-brown?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
I'm assuming you're using the 3D editor, since the normal editor doesn't draw tints at all. The 3D editor also draws a red outline around hostile monsters, which might make them look more red.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1250
Profile #8
I am using the 3D editor, yes. And I have seen that red outline, because I've got to change it to a blue outline, because the majority of the sliths in my scenario are friendly. When I flesh out the creature customization in my data script, I'll have to change the default attitude to rid myself of that hassle... But, anyhow, despite the red outline, the sliths tinted in the 3D editor seem dramatically more red. But, never mind. By now I'm not going to worry about it. I'll either edit the graphic sheets, or settle for a slith warrior import, tinted or not.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Come to think of it, it could be because the 3D editor always uses the brightest town lighting setting, so if your town is darker than that, everything will look a little less bright. On the other hand, that's not likely to be your problem if the issue is specific to your red sliths.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1250
Profile #10
Haven't actually tried to tint anything else, in fact. And I think that the town in which I've been test-viewing my creations is set to be "Fully Lit," so I'm really not sure why there's such a difference between the 3D editor and the game.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #11
As far as I can remember, Isaac got his tinting code directly from Jeff, so it is most likely BoA's lighting system that is messing with the redness of your slith. I don't know this for sure, so Isaac's probably the only one who could really give an answer for this.