Parry & Riposte

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Parry & Riposte
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #0
Hoe exactly do Parry and Riposte work? What are they for ? how do they help in a battle ? How can they work or not ?

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Parry seems to reduce the damage you take from any kind of physical attack. I'm not sure exactly how it works, although I suspect it's a percentage chance of reducing damage by half or something, with the chance depending on the number of ranks of the skill you have. It does seem to cause a significant reduction in damage, and the requirements to train in it aren't too difficult to meet, so usually I get a few ranks at high levels.

Riposte gives a chance (about 3% per rank of the skill) to get a free counterattack and inflict damage on a monster that hits you at melee range with a weapon. It has no effect against missile attacks, or against monsters using natural weapons (claws, etc). The damage isn't great, either; I'm not sure how it's determined, but it's usually much less than a normal attack. Overall, it's not really a very good skill.

In my experience, the way to make a fighter is to keep your Endurance high enough to survive a full round of attacks from whatever you're fighting, and pump the rest of your skill points into your chosen weapon skill and Blademaster (after you've met the requirements for Blademaster, of course; it's probably best to try for Blademaster around level 35). Other skills like Assassination can be helpful too, but basically, a fighter's job is to take hits without dying; dealing damage is secondary to that.

[ Tuesday, March 22, 2005 23:52: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #2
Thanks again. You have answered to 2 problems that I have had today. Does that mean that with 30 levels of Riposte it will always riposte or is there some sort of limit?

[ Wednesday, March 23, 2005 07:10: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
There is a limit. With 40 levels of Riposte, my character was Riposting about 80-90% of the time. I have no idea what factors go into this, but I think the damage that it does is related to level ratios or something, because I was doing pitiful damage with it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00