Daily schedules for NPCs?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Daily schedules for NPCs?
Apprentice
Member # 3857
Profile #0
In most RPGs (in all the RPGs I know, at least) most NPCs don't have any kind of daily schedule. For example, shops are open 24/7, people wander the streets at any time of day or night, etc.

I realize this is an abstraction of reality, one of many that are common in RPGs. But, though I think some abstraction is useful (because is helps avoid micromanagement), I think towns would look more 'alive' if the NPCs went around purposefully following a daily routine. I think this could be done to some extent in BoA.

What do you think? is this kind of thing worth the trouble?

[ Saturday, February 12, 2005 14:30: Message edited by: void* ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
It would be a nice touch. Not necessary, but nice.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
I seem to recall someone discussing this before and concluding that it would be a lot of work. NPCs have to intelligently open doors, react to the party blocking their path and do a bunch of other complicated things.

The lazy way to do it, providing most of the realism without the hard work, is to have one group of NPCs that's erased if the party enters town during the day and a different group that's erased if the party enters town at night. Unless the party spends an awfully long time in town, this should work well enough.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!