Turn off Light (in dungeon)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Turn off Light (in dungeon)
Apprentice
Member # 5294
Profile Homepage #0
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good technique to turn off a parties light source (torch, lamp, magic, etc.) and make it 'dark' again while in a dungeon? I couldn't find anything in the manual, but could've missed something that would work.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
In Town Details, there are choices for lighting, and if you set the lighting to Gets Dark 10x Faster or Totally Dark, the light will go away quickly or completely as soon as it is made. But if you want this to be a one-time effect at one point in the dungeon, I don't know if you can do this, short of using a move_to_new_town to send the party to an identical dungeon with a different light value.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #2
I am fairly sure Jeff Vogel pulls that one on you during either Avernum I or Avernum II, in the Spiral Crypt. (a small part of the dungeon consists of a maze-like area where you can see only 1 space, light spells don't work and generic undead attack you.)

So there should be a call in BoA.

Then again, Jeff could just have been Jeff and decided to make it so BoA designers can't change that.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I think that is indeed what he did, since for some bizarre reason the town lighting is preset by the editor instead of being set up by BoA. Even calling scripts to change terrains that emit light to terrains that don't (or vice versa) doesn't correctly update the lighting. This was the case in BoE too.

[ Tuesday, February 08, 2005 02:52: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #4
Actually, there might be another wayto do this...

When you use a candle or cast a Light spell, doesn't the party just get an invisible affect? Like poison or acid or haste, except you can't see that you have it. And so, if you could find the number for the light affect, by trail and error, say, then you could remove it when the player steps on a terrain script or special encounter rectangle.

You could always also just make the entire dungeon dark, disable the light spell, remove all candles/lanterns from the game, and then have lighted terrain in all places other than the area you want to be dark.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Warrior
Member # 5415
Profile #5
I was reading the announcements Jeff made about what the BoA editor would be able to do, and I think he specifically said turning off light levels was something he was going to add the capacity for. It would be a shame if it isn't possible.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Because we all need a good moniker.:
When you use a candle or cast a Light spell, doesn't the party just get an invisible affect? Like poison or acid or haste, except you can't see that you have it.
No. Those are statuses, listed in the Status Types in the Appendices. Light is not related to those.

quote:
Originally written by DreamGuy:
I was reading the announcements Jeff made about what the BoA editor would be able to do, and I think he specifically said turning off light levels was something he was going to add the capacity for.
Apparently he changed his mind. I don't think he ever gave a reason why.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5294
Profile Homepage #7
Just in case someone else needs a solution for this, what I ended up doing was set the dungeons to total dark, and add custom floor types importing the regular floor types, but adding the fl_light_radius=3 line to them. This isn't as slick as 'a puff of wind blows through and snuffs your torch out', but it allows me to have 'dark' areas and lighted areas without having to place terrain light sources.
Note, I tried with the status calls to see if there was an undocumented status, but up through about status = 400, no luck.
Also, it seems like you can create creatures that breath 'darkness'. It sure seems like that it would be easy enough to add a call to control the parties light source.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Creatures that breathe darkness don't actually make places dark -- it's just unblockable damage.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5294
Profile Homepage #9
That's good to know, It'll save me the time to test out a darkness breather. I guess because of this line (in the boa exe)
'Your light is instantly snuffed out.' in the same area as the 'breathes darkness' text, I made the assumption that the darkness breath killed the light sources. Oh well.