BoA Editor Remake

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: BoA Editor Remake
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #0
As most of you know, a BoA Editor remake is in the works. JV was contacted for his thoughts on this. In the interests of gaining support for this project, here was his reply:

quote:

My intention with making the source code public was to give people the
information they needed to homegrow editors of their own. If people strip
that source code and rebuild it so much that only the data structures
remain in place, well, that still seems within the spirit of the thing.

In other words, I have no intention of chasing with lawyers people who work
hard to make a better version of my (admittedly imperfect) editor. When you
have something usable, please let me know so we can link to it. Or, if it's
cool enough, host it.

- Jeff Vogel

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
This is promising. He seems to have improved since BoE.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #2
The project is almost underway, and we'll soon be officially asking for support. If anyone believes they may be of help, please say so, but keep in mind that something may not go as planned with SourceForge. Be sure to include how you intend to help.

Also, anybody have any thoughts on what to name it?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
The Avernaforge :P

This sounds very exciting. I have little-to-no C skills, but I do have lots of extra webspace and some experience making BoA scenarios, if there's anyone you need with those sorts of skills or resources.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #4
Where is the source code, anyway? I don't intend to be able to make something like another editor any time soon, but I'd just like to see what it looks like.

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
Xerch'de/Rate.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #5
The original code should be packaged with the editor.
Look Here

[ Thursday, January 27, 2005 13:52: Message edited by: KernelKnowledge12 ]
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #6
Okay, thanks. Didn't know it was right there...

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
Xerch'de/Rate.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #7
The BoA Editor Remake Project has currently been accepted at SourceForge, and the site is currently ready for at least discussing the Project:
Remake Site

If you want to suggest a feature, offer help, etc., please do it at the above site.

Kelandon: There is a chance we could use your help, but as of now, I do not know if the other two lead developers of this project (Isaac and Notus) are even aware of this project's acceptance. I'd like to wait for them before doing anything significant (including asking for help).
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #8
I don't really have the time to contribute, but feel free to use any of my editor modifications.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by KernelKnowledge12:

as of now, I do not know if the other two lead developers of this project (Isaac and Notus) are even aware of this project's acceptance. I'd like to wait for them before doing anything significant (including asking for help).
I don't expect to do a lot with this; I'm more expecting others to start it and me to contribute some if I can. :)

I think the most productive thing to do at this point is get on with it - you seem to know what you're doing, and waiting for other people who may not have a lot of time will not help. I hope you know where to start, and good luck!

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #10
Isaac: I still need your SourceForge.net user name (UNIX username) so I can give you developer access to the project. If you want to give it to me, email it or pm it.
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

Isaac: I still need your SourceForge.net user name (UNIX username) so I can give you developer access to the project. If you want to give it to me, email it or pm it.
Uhhh... I need to create an account on SourceForge? (well, obviously yes... anything else?) :P

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #12
You'll have to tell me the UNIX username (not the publicly shown one) you choose, then I'll give you developer access to the files. This lets you directly change the files, but does not give you administrative control. If you want administrative access, I'll give it to you, but you'll have to be more active than you plan to be.

Also to get/change/commit the code you'll have to get a cvs client (if you don't have one already). If you don't know how to use cvs, well, this'll be a problem, as cvs is very hard to learn, but its not impossible. Since I used windows, I could get Tortoise CVS which is much easier to use than regular CVS, though it doesn't take advantage of advanced features. Don't know what clients there are for OS X, but the information is all on SourceForge.net. Also you can look up "The CVS Book." (Its free and online.)
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #13
quote:

You'll have to tell me the UNIX username (not the publicly shown one) you choose, then I'll give you developer access to the files.
Okay, I'll PM you what I think you mean (I've made a SourceForge account).

quote:
Also to get/change/commit the code you'll have to get a cvs client (if you don't have one already). If you don't know how to use cvs, well, this'll be a problem, as cvs is very hard to learn, but its not impossible. Since I used windows, I could get Tortoise CVS which is much easier to use than regular CVS, though it doesn't take advantage of advanced features. Don't know what clients there are for OS X, but the information is all on SourceForge.net. Also you can look up "The CVS Book." (Its free and online.)
Hmm, oh well, I obviously use MacOSX, and I don't know how to use CVS, but I can probably figure it out....

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #14
I gave you developer access. Also Notus suggested you release the OS X version of the 3D Editor via SourceForge.

Also I PM'd my contact info to you.
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #15
Isaac,

Can we support your 3D BoA Editor on SourceForge?
I'm now coding another bug fix, v1.0.2b4, patch for "Outdoor: drawing mode failure after moving section" bug.

May I issue the Windows port of your 3D BoA Editor to SourceForge?
It entered to debug phase finally. Though there are still a several bugs I know (and maybe tons of bugs I don't know), I hope I can start beta test on next weekend.

PS
MacOSX and Xcode are CVS savvy.

Setup guidance
Version Control with CVS on Mac OS X
http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/cvsoverview.html
Introduction to Xcode Source Control Management
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/Xcode_SCM/Int roduction.html

Client for MacOS
MacCVS
http://cvsgui.sourceforge.net/download.html
MacCVSClient
http://www.heilancoo.net/MacCVSClient/

[ Sunday, January 30, 2005 18:19: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Project: BoA Editor Remake on SourceForge.net
supports "3D BoA Editor" (Mac and Win), and creates advanced BoA Editor.
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Notus:

Isaac,

Can we support your 3D BoA Editor on SourceForge?
I'm now coding another bug fix, v1.0.2b4, patch for "Outdoor: drawing mode failure after moving section" bug.

Yes, and you can put it there since you have the most bug-fixed version. Make sure it's clear what license it has.

quote:
May I issue the Windows port of your 3D BoA Editor to SourceForge?
It entered to debug phase finally. Though there are still a several bugs I know (and maybe tons of bugs I don't know), I hope I can start beta test on next weekend.

Do that too.

quote:
PS
MacOSX and Xcode are CVS savvy.

Setup guidance
Version Control with CVS on Mac OS X
http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/cvsoverview.html
Introduction to Xcode Source Control Management
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/Xcode_SCM/Int roduction.html

Client for MacOS
MacCVS
http://cvsgui.sourceforge.net/download.html
MacCVSClient
http://www.heilancoo.net/MacCVSClient/

Okay, thanks, I'll look into that.

[ Monday, January 31, 2005 01:40: Message edited by: Isaac ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #17
I found a cross-platform C++ library that uses OpenGL: http://plib.sourceforge.net/ . I'm not sure how good it would be to use, but the abilities that it claims to have seem good.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Isaac:

I found a cross-platform C++ library that uses OpenGL: http://plib.sourceforge.net/ . I'm not sure how good it would be to use, but the abilities that it claims to have seem good.
Looks okay. Not as powerfull as others I've seen, but much easier to use. Here are some other libraries.

As for using OpenGL in the Remake, its pretty much been decided that this would complicate matters. This does not mean that the idea is dead as wxWidgets does have support for OpenGL.

Isaac - Check your PMs.
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #19
KernelKnowledge12, Isaac
Hard disk crashed on my Mac. Salvaged data partition but System partition is totally damaged. :( I must get another Hard disk.
I cannot send/receive E-mail for a few days. Sorry for your inconvenience.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #20
quote:

KernelKnowledge12, Isaac
Hard disk crashed on my Mac. Salvaged data partition but System partition is totally damaged. :( I must get another Hard disk.
I cannot send/receive E-mail for a few days. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Sorry to hear that :( . Can you still PM? Also, did you get the last two emails I sent you? If not, I can send them to you through PM, or just post them on the board.
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #21
Thanks,
I got a hard disk and will repair my Mac this evening. Maybe I can use E-mail tomorrow.
I received your E-mail. Mail log was on the data partition, and was salvaged successfully. Even if I didn't, mail server must hold it.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #22
quote:

Thanks,
I got a hard disk and will repair my Mac this evening. Maybe I can use E-mail tomorrow.
I received your E-mail. Mail log was on the data partition, and was salvaged successfully. Even if I didn't, mail server must hold it.

Awesome. Concerning the idea of the copy/paste idea, I think we should just go ahead with the square selection. We can improve it later (My emails contain a suggestion for that). Will this be added to the current 3D Editor (Dev-C++ Project)?

Also if you don't know by now, Isaac has joined the discussions concerning the planning of the application. He also has suggestions on the improvement of selection.

[ Tuesday, February 15, 2005 18:58: Message edited by: KernelKnowledge12 ]
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #23
quote:
Will this be added to the current 3D Editor (Dev-C++ Project)?
Yes, for this purpose we prepared a test bench. I'll write a code for mouse tracker to draw selection rectangle on 2D and 3D.

Not only the selection phase, the paste phase also needs some consideration. On the paste phase, the pasted object is appeared in "floating" state on the screen until the position is determined. If the height information is included in the selected object, we should implement an user interface to adjust height too.

Umm, if we can manage to realize this function, it'll be the most frequently used tool on rapid scene making and scene retouch. Copy/Paste function may bring another copyright problem, but the community will reach to some consensus.

[ Tuesday, February 15, 2005 22:56: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3340
Profile #24
quote:

KernelKnowledge12, Isaac
Hard disk crashed on my Mac. Salvaged data partition but System partition is totally damaged. [Frown] I must get another Hard disk.

Interesting.......

and here I thought that only happens to M$ PCs! :D

James

--------------------
Sometimes I just don't know anything about everything -- or do I ?

Pages