Good ideas and plot, lack of scripting knoledge

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Good ideas and plot, lack of scripting knoledge
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #0
I"ve been wanting to make this large scnario for a while. I have a good plot and verything. The problem is that i have no scriptiong knoledge. So if anyone has good scripting knoledge, wants to make a scenario, and needs a good plot, e-mail me at aliklik@aol.com
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
It's been a while since we've had one of these. I'll just get the obligatory remarks out of the way immediately: a number of people make nigh on identical posts about the same thing every now and then, and virtually none ever get any response. The threads just die.

Learn to script. It's not that hard. If you have any specific questions, post them.

The last time we talked at length about collaboration and why it doesn't work appears to be here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #2
Not to shoot down your idea here, but most programmers would prefer to use their own scenario ideas since they have more of an interest in what they are creating. That's not to say that someone won't take you up on your offer, but you are probably better off asking for help on learning how to use the editor to create your own scenario. Either way, here is hoping that you do decide to learn to use the editor and create a good scenario for the community here to enjoy.

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #3
i tried to use the wlak through it give you but for some readon that town its dupposed to come with doesn't work. I've redownloaded the file but heroes grove still doesn't work so i'm unable to use the walkthrough. If anyone has any idead why that is, it would be very helpfull.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Sigh. Did you read the error message? You need to move... oh, bloody hell.

From the header on these boards:
"If you run the editor and it immediately gives you a ton of errors (like that it can't find the "Warrior's Grove" file), you need to move the editor application (.exe file) itself into the "Data" (Windows) or "Blades of Avernum Files" (Mac) folder."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #5
Try this.

Seems a perfect match to me. He wants a story, you've got a story, and neither of you can spell. :P

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
And given the normal success rate for collaborations, it shouldn't matter that one is on BoE and the other on BoA. :P

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #7
I don't see why spelling should really matter on a message board. So what if there are typos, as long as people know what you meant.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
Yes, the goal of communication is transmit knowledge, and one may succeed despite misspelling. However, with frequent misspelling, one also succeeds at making oneself look like an idiot.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #9
Probably they would go with the programmer's BoE since plot probably is compatible with both.

As for spelling......
I you can read quite a few different topics on that all expressing the same thing. Spelling is important to a lot of the members on this board, which makes it advisable to pay some attention to it. Misspelling distracts from the whatever merit there is what you are trying to say, and makes it hard for me at least to take the writer seriously. correct spelling shows that you put enough time/effort into your post for it to be worth reading :)

Not that I am the perfect speller or anything.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
The analogy I've heard is that poor spelling is like showing up to a meeting with soup stains on your shirt.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Moreover, in most posts with significantly flawed mechanics (spelling and grammar), I have a very hard time figuring out what the person is trying to say, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's not just bad form; it tends to impede comprehension.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #12
quote:
Myself:
As for spelling......
I you can read quite
Wow, at least it wasn't a topic on grammar.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #13
Don't worry too much about the scripting langauge. It is extremely simple in comparison to any real scripting system. But it is certainly more difficult to learn than the nodes system from BoE.

I haven't touched BoA for well over 3 months now, but the familiarity it has with most scripting languages makes it hard to forget its basics. The more complex things can be easily explained by us if you ask.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #14
But the problem is i don't have any basic scripting knowledge either (with the exception oh html). Hopefully the tutorial it comes with will be able to help me.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
I wrote an article that you may find useful, too, after you make the town in the tutorial.

--------------------