Targeting Scripts

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Targeting Scripts
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #0
ok, i'm trying to create a script which gives a character a special ability. i'm having a couple problems. i'm not going to say what the special ability is, because i want it to be a suprise to some sort of degree. heres what i need to know.
1. how can i return a characters energy points left? i searched the appendix and couldn't find anything.

2. ok, here's the main situation i'm really having difficulty with. i know that if i am making a custom item that i can use the call who_is_custom_item_target. however, if i am making a special ability, how would i allow it to target a creature? (i really hope there's a way to do so, otherwise, that would be lame........ extremely lame)
EDIT: even better, is there a way to allow someone to target a space within sight? i know that BOE had one, and there really should be a way to do so here.

thanks for any help, in advance.

also, i now have 35 (roughly) working floors, and i'm debugging the wall graphics. if anyone wants them, let me know, because Brett want's me to convert them into .gif or .jpg but i refuse. (i won't murder the graphics that way) (hopefully i can convince him to just put it in a seperate folder like the color edits)

EDITAGAIN: you know, i have to say, i have seen 4 replies to a dead topic (The Community Is Criminally Ignorant), and yet no replies to this yet. this is a valid question without all the drama and stupid bs, but no one seems to awnser it, odd. i think if people spent as much making scenarios as they did arguing pointlessly, maybe we actually get something done. i'll stop rambling now.

[ Monday, November 08, 2004 18:44: Message edited by: Captain Obvious ]

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
1. get_energy
2. A PC's special ability? No. Can't target a space, can't target a creature, as far as I know. Should be able to, but can't. We have a request in for a new call that would allow it to, but it can't right now.

You can save as .jpg in a lossless fashion. You have to check the right options in your imaging program, but you can do it.

Be patient. If you don't get a response within 24 hours, then bump the thread with a new post, but not if you don't get a response within 1 hour.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Use .gif. JPEG murders graphics, but .gif usually retains what you need.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #3
I wasn't complaining about the 1 hour thing, more along the lines of 4 posts on a pointless topic as compared to 0 here.

.gif I've always found to murder them. It really makes no difference considering any graphic editor can open a .psd and then select and copy it. I think he just wants them for the web, but I think i'll get him to put all my terrain into a link. (if i can)

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Maybe we can convince Brett to accept PNGs. They're pretty widely accessible by now.

[ Tuesday, November 09, 2004 00:05: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #5
If your still art graphics program is completely compatible with .GIF, then the graphics saved in that format should be lossless. Unless you are using more than 256 colors in a single small Avernum sprite :rolleyes: .

I do not think this will make very much sense, but you could give the characters an ability that gives them an item that targets. The item would have 1 charge and would disappear after 1 use, and the party would not be able to have more than 1 at any time. This is an ugly workaround, but it will make whatever you are planning possible. And the item's custom script should check for the party having more than 1 of itself as well, since the player can drop items on the ground, and escape item checks...

[ Tuesday, November 09, 2004 04:26: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.