Moving carts

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Moving carts
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #25
[Newbie warning] Couldn't you just use move object commands? [/newbie warning]
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #26
Dastal: I don't beleive that is possible, for each would need to be called one after another. I tried something similar with the move_to_loc_x_y, but it would need to be called every turn, it did not overlap (meaning each cart would move only after the last one moved), and, worst of all, you couldn't move, the processor usage was so high.

Kelandon: I think I see what you mean, and I may post a copy for others to use. You would set the appropriate coordinates in the mem_cells you wished to use. Then, you could write a script, which would check each one, see what they were, and then go there. You would also need to make sure the mem_cell wasn't set to 0; if so, the script should be written to skip it. The only hard part would be knowing when to get the next coordinate. I think you could use the incrementing i format, where the first call would be made when i == 1, and then increment, calling only when the cart stopped.

I guess another hard bit would be getting the cart to go back, but I think it's doable. The only limitation I can see is that at max, it can only store five x,y coordinates. This makes it unusable for my scenario.

Thuryl: How did SpidWeb do the conveyor belts in the golem tower in Avernum III? I'm assuming that if there are no premade conveyors in BoA, then none in Avernum III. I think that conveyors would be only be cool if the thing being conveyed could not be pushed off. Realistically, why would anyone randomly shove a mining cart over in the middle of a mine?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
I have to admit I haven't played A3 either. But from what I've read of threads on it here, Jeff redid the golem tower entirely. Probably replaced it with a beam puzzle or something.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #28
That is in fact what he did. He took out the conveyor belts and replaced them with beams. It wasn't quite a beam puzzle so much as a "dodge the beams that turn on and off every few turns" situation, but the idea is the same.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #29
Ah well. Maybe you could only exectute the creature script when the party is nearby, so only one cart would be moving at once?

Also, if the party trys to get in the way of the moving car, you could just move them off the script and give them a little damage on the basis of "being hit by a fast moving mine cart HURTS!"
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #30
I never thought about what A3 would be like without the conveyor belts. I beat E3, but never bothered to register A3. That has to be the lamest thing I have heard yet. Conveyor belts were so much more fun then dodging a stupid laser. How retarted...

--------------------
I love stupid people acting smart...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #31
It was actually quite tricky. I appreciated it. But then, I never played E3.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #32
I could never get through the Golem's in E3. Heck, it took me forever to get through the E3 New Factory (is it just me, or was ther no real "new factory" in A3?). I never did beat it, since I cast quickfire into Rentar's courtyard, and then I couldn't contain it, and my last save was like before I finsihed the Trogo/Giants. Part of that, I think, was just unfamiliarity with the way it all worked (I mean, I was like 12 at the time, the first time I played it, at 10, I couldn't even beat the slimes). When I came back to playing A1, A2, and A3, I beat all of them, doing everything I could, in a bit over a day each of non-stop playing. [Hey! That's just how I am. I pulled the same trick with WC1+2, and then WC3 when I got it, NWN, EE, AoK, DS, C&C (all of 'em), and a bunch of others.]
Apprentice
Member # 4833
Profile Homepage #33
Do you really have to move the carts every turn? Just assing their positions to sdf's and move them if the party is in a suitable place to see them.
(Assuming their position is meaningfull in some way)

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 22:47: Message edited by: Pachat ]
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #34
Pachal: It really does not matter when they are moving. The change in game speed is unnoticeable (at least to me), and it would just be more work to change them now. I also noticed that the method you are describing could very easily be done with the set_script_mode() call. The # you input in the brackets affects when the script is called.

Dastal: I like your suggestion, but we're going to have to assume that the carts are controlled by beings who care about others. The tracks need to be crossed often by miners and if we have speeding mining carts rushing heedlessly along, disaster would be all too common. And also, the tracks need to be crossed to get around the mine.

And yeah, the laser thing sounds kind of lame. The conveyor belt puzzle was stinking hard, I think the hardest puzzle in Exile III. It took me hours of pulling out my hair and cursing at the endless golems plopping out of nowhere to figure it out. I can't imagine a laser puzzle really fitting the theme, either.
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #35
Venom, I have perhaps an easier idea. Why not make the carts move through their own tunnels? That's the way it is in a lot of mines. Then you could have a few carts each at the cross-tracks. You could even use a light system (using laser power globes) to notify the party when there is a train comming. That way if they try and cross the track, it's their own damn fault! The script is way simplified. The car just needs to move like 16 spaces in a straight line. If you want another track crossing, you just have one car getting to a certain point activate another car to move. An even easier way would be to have every car move simultaneously, every 32 moves or so. The player would only see one car at a time, so you would have a great illusion. Or maybe have the cars run in trenches of some kind? Though making a bridge could be a bit of a pain. Not sure how you'd do that. Just some thoughts.
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #36
Thanks, Dastal, thats the best idea I've heard yet! I think it would be easy to code, or at least simple. I could even make a new town, accessible from the mine, which would be crisscrossed with these tunnels. The lights thing is a nice touch. Yeah, I might use that when I finish some more critical areas.

However, if anyone knows of a technical workaround, without having to rearrange the layout, of seeing if a party member was in the path, pausing, and then moving again, I'd be grateful. I just had an epiphany of what I could do. I must go try it.
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

It was actually quite tricky. I appreciated it. But then, I never played E3.
"The Exile Trilogy
(Moderated by: Drakefyre, Phenotypical, Kelandon)"

Hmmm?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
I know, I know. I replaced Omlette, who was moderator of both boards, so I sort of got both boards by default. However, moderating any of the normal game boards really is a matter of knowing what online resources are available (all of my answers for A1 come from and include links to Avernum Annotated Maps, for example) rather than knowing the games really well.

--------------------

Pages