Room Decoration

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Room Decoration
Warrior
Member # 2838
Profile #0
Any hints on how to decorate rooms? I am having trouble with the design of simple rooms like quarters and people homes because of the fact that you can't place an object like a bed in a place that has already been used to place a wall.

[ Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:42: Message edited by: magoicochea ]

--------------------
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : :: o`-, … I'm under your bed.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I can't describe this with words, so here are images.

The right way to place walls:
IMAGE(http://my.sanbrunocable.com/tomwatts/public_html/good.jpg)

The wrong way:
IMAGE(http://my.sanbrunocable.com/tomwatts/public_html/bad.jpg)

For the most part, you want the former way, not the latter. Even though it looks weird in the editor, it looks fine in the game.

EDIT: This is assuming, of course, that the room that you're placing is INSIDE those walls and there is a door somewhere to get in.

[ Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:14: Message edited by: Just call me Kel ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by magoicochea:

I am having trouble (...) because of the fact that you can place an object like a bed in a place that has already been used to place a wall.
Huh... So? What's the problem with that? Usually people place bed next to walls... :confused:

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #3
Kel is nice, hum? ;)

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 2838
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:

quote:
Originally written by magoicochea:

I am having trouble (...) because of the fact that you can place an object like a bed in a place that has already been used to place a wall.
Huh... So? What's the problem with that? Usually people place bed next to walls... :confused:

Sorry it was a typo it's can't instead of can.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 2838
Profile #5
Thanks Kel, what is the best strategy when you have to place two rooms that share the same wall?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #6
Just open one of the default scenarios and see how the creator made it. ;)

If two rooms share the same common wall, you don't have to draw it a second time when making the second room.

--------------------

--------------
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #7
But you then have the same problem, right? Can't put things right next to that wall in one of the rooms?

Kelandon: Can you really not put an item/terrain on the same tile as a wall?

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by magoichea:
Thanks Kel, what is the best strategy when you have to place two rooms that share the same wall?
This is a bit trickier. Obviously, one room will not be able to put other terrains in the square that has the wall in it. There are some other things you can put there to make it look less empty: crates, barrels, bloodstains, that sort of thing. Also, you can use the floors that are carpets in order to decorate. Additionally, items (like a potted plant, for instance) are good for this.

EDIT: To Djur: no, you can't put a terrain on the same tile as a wall (because a wall is a terrain, and you can't have two on the same tile). You can put items there, though.

[ Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:58: Message edited by: Just call me Kel ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #9
I'm checking it out, and it looks like it... :(

You can't place terrain next to those walls. (But can place objects)

--------------------

--------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #10
If you're desperate enough, I suppose you could make your own custom terrain graphic that combines the wall with whatever it is you need to be there. Not a solution I'd recommend for the faint of heart; still, it ought to work if you just HAVE to have a terrain abutt a wall it couldn't otherwise.

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #11
If you dont want to share walls, you can add two tiles width of blackness between one room and the next. Clog the blackness with walls of T sections, and there should be a seperater of rooms, WITHOUT limiting another rooms potential. It takes up alot of space, though, and if the player uses far sight, he will relize the builders built a pit between two rooms ;)

[ Tuesday, July 20, 2004 15:41: Message edited by: GIFTSare2squishy ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
If you use REAL blackness (floor 255) and not just a pit (floor 71), it will look fine, even using Far Sight. I don't know why you would "Clog the blackness with walls of T sections," because this will look weird. Blackness by itself is sufficient.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by GIFTSare2squishy:

If you dont want to share walls, you can add two tiles width of blackness between one room and the next. Clog the blackness with walls of T sections, and there should be a seperater of rooms, WITHOUT limiting another rooms potential. It takes up alot of space, though, and if the player uses far sight, he will relize the builders built a pit between two rooms ;)
But if they don't use Far Sight, they'll think there's a secret passage they can't find there. :P

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Just call me Kel:

The wrong way:
IMAGE(http://my.sanbrunocable.com/tomwatts/public_html/bad.jpg)

what you declare as the wrong way is needful when you want to use a sign hanging at the wall outside the room. so i prefer to set one of the walls inside the room, so i can have a sign next to my door.

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #15
I find that very irritating. What you can't do for instance is place a bed next to a wall and have a wall hanging behind it. The hanging is a 'terrain tile', so it doesn't work. Or a chest and a light source above it. Doesn't work. Or a chair and a picture on the wall above it. Doesn't work. Of course there are ways around it, but it's limiting what you can do in a room.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #16
What Jeff really should've done is to have made the walls yet another set, so that there'd be the floors, the walls, the terrains, and then, objects.

That way, all would be fine. Also we should be able to put more than one terrain tile on a spot.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
Minor, as I said, usually placing the walls the way that I recommended is best, but not always. You can, of course, mix and match, depending on what you want in the room.

I used to be annoyed by the limitations on wall hangings and what one can do with terrains, but the more I play with the editor, the less I care. Having a painting right next to a bed is almost exactly the same as having it above the bed, for instance.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #18
I think the absolute first thing that made me cringe when I tried to do anything in the editor was when I realized how difficult drawing walls was in comparison to BoE walls.
You might see that the wall being a terrain issue as a bad limitation for what you can do in a room, but how often have you ever thought (when playing any of the Avernum games) that the rooms look terrible because there wasn't sufficient decoration?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.