The everyone-dies ending

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The everyone-dies ending
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #0
I have a little scenario I'm experimenting with. It has several endings. In one of those endings, the party suicides. However, due to the circumstances, that's actually considered a perfectly okay ending, and the easiest option to resolve the problem in the scenario. It's obviously far from ideal, but none of the other options are that great either.

I'm being deliberately vague here so as to avoid spoiling anything, just in case the scenario ever does get released (don't hold your breath :rolleyes: ).

Now the question. Would it be better to indicate to the player that this is an acceptable ending and then kill the party, OR to end the scenario normally (and if the latter, should the "win" flag be set or not)?

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
This has happened before in BoE scenarios. End the scenario normally and call it a win.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
Yes. NTH, for Blades of Exile, had a suicide ending which gave you a scenario completion - although it wasn't the "best" ending, which was actually worse... but meh.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #3
I just hope that the 'suicide' ending is a story thing, not a litteral one. I can think of a few people that would be annoyed if the reward for beating the scenario is the loss of their party.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
Johnny Favourite also has suicide as a feasible ending.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #5
Just give the scenario an appropriate content rating, i.e. R.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Keep:

I just hope that the 'suicide' ending is a story thing, not a litteral one. I can think of a few people that would be annoyed if the reward for beating the scenario is the loss of their party.
Well, NTH had you as a premade party, so it wouldn't matter. But you didn't lose your party, anyway.
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #7
Thanks guys, I'll just call it a "win" then. That makes it easy. :)

*i - Heh. Yes. Definitely yes.

[ Wednesday, July 14, 2004 15:14: Message edited by: Crunchy Frog ]

--------------------
--Antz
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #8
Areni has a sort-of suicide ending as well. Probably your best shot would be to play scenarios that have done it before, see which ones work well and which ones don't, and go from there.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #9
Good idea. I was planning to play NTH and Areni at some point anyway. Time to install BoE... no, wait, I actually have it installed! Wow.

--------------------
--Antz