Dialogue error

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Dialogue error
Apprentice
Member # 4296
Profile #0
When I started on my test scenario, I duplicated the Warrior's Grove dialogue file, but I changed the text a bit here and there. But when I started it, it didn't load up, it just said: Error: You tried to start dialogue when no dialogue script is loaded.
How do I make it work?
Somebody who can explain to me?

--------------------
I, Grah-Hoth, will rule both in Avernum and on the surface.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #1
Can you post the script? That happens to me alot too, and I sometimes can't fix it. It ussauly happens when there is an error in the script. But if there is no error, I dont know what to say.
Remember Mem Cell 3 as the node first,
Append dlg at the end of the town script, which would be defiend in the Town Details menu,
Have the extension .txt at the end of the DOCUMENT'S name, but not at the end of the Town Details which script's name.
Check for errors in the script.
Apprentice
Member # 4296
Profile #2
Please give me your email adress, or else I cannot send the scripts to you.
And I do not know if it is an error or not, because I just began with scripting.

[ Thursday, July 01, 2004 11:02: Message edited by: Grah-Hoth ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #3
Just copy the script using the copy to clipboard thingy and paste it in the post you make in this topic using the "Code" UBB code.
Like this..
[ CO DE ] Your script here...[ /CO D E ]

without the spaces.
Apprentice
Member # 4296
Profile #4
I did not understand what you meant, so I did it this way.
It might be this way you meant, or, it might not.
tell me if I did it the wrong way, please?

// TOWN DIALOGUE SCRIPT
// Town 1: Fort Duvno

// This is the dialogue for this town.
// You can use nodes numbered from 1 to 99.

begintalkscript;

variables;

int i,j,k,choice;

begintalknode 1;
state = -1;
personality = 0;
nextstate = 1;
condition = 1;
question = "Algren";
text1 = "You meet a massive, alarmingly muscled man, wearing polished armor. He appraises you carefully as you approach.";
text2 = "_I am Algren, head trainer for Fort Duvno._";
text5 = "Algren waits to see what you have to say.";
action = INTRO;

begintalknode 2;
state = 1;
personality = 0;
nextstate = 2;
condition = 1;
question = "What is this place for?";
text1 = "_I am the trainer for this fort. I teach people skills so they can survive in this forsaken land of what once was the Abyss._";

begintalknode 3;
state = 2;
personality = 0;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "I would like some training.";
text1 = "_You will need it. If you have the money and the will, I can tell you what you need to know to survive._";

begintalknode 4;
state = 2;
personality = 0;
nextstate = 3;
condition = 1;
question = "Tell me more about Fort Duvno?";
text1 = "_That's where you are now. It's a fort thats guarding the way to Avernum, but there is more forts out there, but we are not sure if anyone is alive out there. We have not heard a sound from them in weeks. I fear that they may have been overrun by Grevi._";

begintalknode 5;
state = 3;
personality = 0;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Grevi?";
text1 = "_Yes, Grevi. They are a new vicious sort of demons, looking almost like us, except for the wings from the back of them. They are a mix between Imps and humans, and they are using Dervish armor. They are fast, agile, and smarter and almost as deadly as a Haakai. I think you will have much work ahead of you, if you are to find and kill all of the Grevis that's hiding under the earth._";
text2 = "_One thing is for sure. You will need training to kill these Grevi bastards._";

begintalknode 8;
state = -1;
personality = 1;
nextstate = 11;
condition = 1;
question = "Rippel";
text1 = "A lovely woman with delicate features sits behind the counter. She is gluing bright blue feathers on the shafts of iron-tipped arrows.";
text2 = "_I am known as Rippel the fletcher. Welcome to my shop._";
text5 = "Rippel is hard at work creating carefully crafted sets of matched arrows.";
action = INTRO;

begintalknode 9;
state = 11;
personality = 1;
nextstate = 12;
condition = 1;
question = "What is your job?";
text1 = "_I perform the same job I have performed in many strange lands. I create missile weapons of the finest quality. You may purchase them if you like._";

begintalknode 10;
state = 12;
personality = 1;
nextstate = 13;
condition = 1;
question = "You've been to strange lands? Like where?";
text1 = "She sighs. _Before I came to Fort Duvno, I practiced my trade in many cities, both on the surface and in Avernum._";

begintalknode 11;
state = 13;
personality = 1;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "What cities have you been to?";
text1 = "_I can hardly remember all the cities and forts I have worked in. All I know is that there will surely be many more._";

begintalknode 12;
state = 11;
personality = 1;
nextstate = 11;
condition = 1;
question = "I would like to buy some missile weapons.";
text1 = "You finish shopping.";
code =
begin_shop_mode("Rippel's Fletching","Rippel's archery supplies and missile weapons are not of very high quality, but they will function.",3,3,3);
break;

begintalknode 15;
state = -1;
personality = 2;
nextstate = 21;
condition = 1;
question = "Karen";
text1 = "A Robust woman walks around a large pentagram, where she's holding a Haakai. She weres the traditional robe of an Archwizard. The robes show a bit of wear and tear, as if she's been travelling for some time.";
text2 = "She nods in greeting. _I am called Karen._";
text5 = "Karen smiles weakly at you, picking nervously at the loose threads of her worn robes. She looks like he could use some sleep. Holding a Haakai cannot be easy.";
action = INTRO;

begintalknode 16;
state = 21;
personality = 2;
nextstate = 22;
condition = 1;
question = "Are you a wizard?";
text1 = "_Yes. I have achieved that title, because of my success where my teacher in the Tower of Magi, Linda, failed. She tried to summon and control the demonlord Grah-Hoth, Avernum's great enemy, and she wanted to use him against the Empire which, at the time being, was weakened by the plagues the Vahnatai created, but she didn't have enough strength to hold him of, so he built a portal of her soul. Luckily, the group that was sent to the surface, destroyed the portal in time. I have, I'm quite proud to say, managed to hold in this Haakai for several weeks now, and I have learned a lot from him. I am, also, a sage with great experience. Whether in the fields of alchemy or identification, I can be of great assistance to you._";

begintalknode 17;
state = 22;
personality = 2;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "You say you have had a lot of experience?";
text1 = "_Adventures. Wars. Hordes of rampaging demons. I've seen it all. And now, I will see it again._";

begintalknode 18;
state = 22;
personality = 2;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Could you identify my items?";
text1 = "She looks over your items with a practiced eye. It only takes a moment to figure out what each one is. With a smile, she says _No problem. Each identification will be a mere 10 gold._";
action = ID 10;

begintalknode 19;
state = 22;
personality = 2;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Can I purchase some potions?";
code =
begin_shop_mode("Karen's potions","Karen has sold most of her stock to passing adventurers, but she does has a few useful items left.",4,4,2);
break;

begintalknode 20;
state = 21;
personality = 2;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "You look like you have traveled a long way to be here.";
text1 = "She sighs. _Yes, I have started to look rather run down. Don't think that I have nothing to offer. I do have skills, I assure you._";

begintalknode 24;
state = -1;
personality = 3;
nextstate = 31;
condition = 1;
question = "Marian";
text1 = "You interrupt a priestess. She concludes her chanting, turns, and bows to you. The ankh around her neck indicates some proficiency in the healing arts.";
text2 = "_I am Marian. Welcome to the Shrine of Divine Health._";
text5 = "Marian the healer waits patiently to see if you need assistance.";
action = INTRO;

begintalknode 25;
state = 31;
personality = 3;
nextstate = 32;
condition = 1;
question = "Tell me about this place?";
text1 = "_The Shrine of Divine Health is dedicated to all of the healing arts. It certainly comes in handy here in Warrior's Grove._";
text2 = "_I can fully restore anyone traveling with you for 300 coins. I can heal your wounds, remove the curse from anything nasty you are wearing, and even bring an unfortunate soul back from beyond the wall of death._";

begintalknode 26;
state = 32;
personality = 3;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Someone with me requires healing. (Pay 300 coins.)";
text1 = "Marian looks sad. _I would love to help you, even though you don't have money. However, maintaining a shrine like this is expensive._";
text3 = "_I am glad to hear that none of you needs help after all._";
text5 = "Marian kneels and prays fervently. You feel a powerful holy energy fill the shrine. After an hour, the power reaches its apex and, with a flash of light, your friend is restored.";
code =
clear_strings();
if (coins_amount() < 300)
add_string(1);
else if (run_select_a_pc(1) == 0)
add_string(3);
else {
play_sound(24);
add_string(5);
restore_pc(get_selected_pc());
change_coins(-300);
}

break;

begintalknode 27;
state = 31;
personality = 3;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "You are a priestess in thie shrine?";
text1 = "_Yes. We priests and priestesses of healing dedicate ourselves to the restoration of those who fall ill, break bones, are gnawed on by monsters, that sort of thing._";

begintalknode 28;
state = 32;
personality = 3;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "What can you tell me about Fort Duvno?";
text1 = "_I have heard some things of what's going on outside these walls. And we have not heard from any of the other forts for a while. But last week, a person came here from Fort Spire , but he didn't hav time to tell us of what happened, because he died a short time after. It must be really unpleasant._";

begintalknode 29;
state = 32;
personality = 3;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "I do not require any healing.";
text1 = "_I am glad to hear it. If you ever do need to be healed, I will be here waiting. now, if you will excuse me, I must return to my prayers._";
action = END_TALK;

begintalknode 31;
state = -1;
personality = 4;
nextstate = 41;
condition = 1;
question = "Gonski";
text1 = "You meet this shop's proprietor, a scarred, withered old man. His leathery skin shows the signs of many years under the sun, and his arms bear a number of long, thin scars.";
text2 = "_I'm Gonski,_ he grunts. He is surrounded by a variety of newly made weapons and pieces of armor.";
text5 = "Gonski looks like he wishes he was doing something else. He slowly passes a hammer from one hand to the other.";
action = INTRO;

begintalknode 32;
state = 41;
personality = 4;
nextstate = 42;
condition = 1;
question = "What do you sell here?";
text1 = "He pats a nearby greatsword. _We got armor. We got weapons. We got shields. You can sell me your old stuff too._";

begintalknode 33;
state = 42;
personality = 4;
nextstate = 43;
condition = 1;
question = "That's a nice greatsword.";
text1 = "_Not for sale. We only got one, and it's mine. We got all sorts of weapons here. You'll need to be well equipped when you leave town._";

begintalknode 34;
state = 43;
personality = 4;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "What is outside town?";
text1 = "_There's plenty of monsters out there._ He snorts. _Probably too much for the likes of you. But itf you want to have a chance, you want some of my weapons._";

begintalknode 35;
state = 41;
personality = 4;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Can I buy some weapons?";
code =
begin_shop_mode("Gonski's Weapons","Gonski's weapons show signs of having been hastily made. There must be a high demand for blades around here.",1,3,3);
break;

begintalknode 36;
state = 41;
personality = 4;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Can I buy some armor?";
code =
begin_shop_mode("Gonski's Armor","Gonski's armor shows dents and other signs of use. They may have already been used by less successful adventurers.",0,3,3);
break;

begintalknode 39;
state = 41;
personality = 4;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Do you buy used equipment?";
text1 = "He looks over your surplus goods. _A pretty sorry lot. Still, I might be able to offer you a little for it._";
text2 = "(You call sell items while on the store screen. An item has to be identified to sell it. To have items identified, find Walner.)";

begintalknode 42;
state = -1;
personality = 5;
nextstate = 51;
condition = 1;
question = "Ella";
text1 = "You walk up to the counter and look across at the innkeeper. She doesn't seem surprised to see adventurers in her bar.";
text2 = "She smiles. _I'm Ella, owner of the Warrior's Arms. How may I help you?_";
text5 = "Ella makes small talk with you and cleans the counter of the bar. _Do you need anything?_";
action = INTRO;

begintalknode 43;
state = 51;
personality = 5;
nextstate = 52;
condition = 1;
question = "What services do you offer?";
text1 = "_We have all the things adventurers need. We can give you a room to rest in for the night, for only 5 coins. We have cheap rations available. And, of course, a tankard of beer is only a coin._";

begintalknode 44;
state = 51;
personality = 5;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Do a lot of adventurers pass through town?";
text1 = "_Lots of them. Some of them even survive._";

begintalknode 45;
state = 52;
personality = 5;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "I'll take a room for the night. (Pay 5 coins.)";
text1 = "She shows you to your room and wishes you a pleasant night.";
text3 = "She shakes her head. _Sorry, but that's 5 gold._";
text5 = "You can't stay in an inn when on horseback.";
action = INN 5 32 37;

begintalknode 46;
state = 52;
personality = 5;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "I need some rations.";
code =
begin_shop_mode("Fine Rations","The food at the inn is simple and edible. It's expensive though, probably because of high demand.",5,5,-1);
break;

begintalknode 47;
state = 52;
personality = 5;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "I would like some ale. (Pay 1 coin.)";
text1 = "She serves up the beer. It's refreshing, in a nasty sort of way.";
text3 = "She looks pityingly upon you. _Not a gold piece to your name. How sad._";
code =
clear_strings();
if (coins_amount() < 1)
add_string(3);
else {
set_party_status(28,15,FALSE);
add_string(1);
change_coins(-1);
}

break;

begintalknode 48;
state = 52;
personality = 5;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Anything special adventurers usually need?";
text1 = "_Yes. Which reminds me, please bandage your wounds before going to your room. It's a great pain to clean the blood out of the blankets._";

begintalknode 49;
state = 52;
personality = 5;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "I don't need anything.";
text1 = "_All right. When you do, we'll still be here. I hope._";
action = END_TALK;

[ Saturday, July 03, 2004 08:14: Message edited by: Grah-Hoth ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #5
Its going to take a long time to analyze your script, but ill do it. But before I do, If your Town script fails to load, then your dialouge will not load either.
Now time to check...
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #6
text1 = "_Yes, Grevi. They are a new vicious sort of demons, looking almost like us, except for the wings from the back of them. They are a mix between Imps and humans, and they are using Dervish armor. They are fast, agile, and smarter and almost as deadly as a Haakai. I think you will have much work ahead of you, if you are to find and kill all of the Grevis that's hiding under the earth._";
That is too long. The max is 250 chars. I THINK its too long.

text1 = "_Yes. I have achieved that title, because of my success where my teacher in the Tower of Magi, Linda, failed. She tried to summon and control the demonlord Grah-Hoth, Avernum's great enemy, and she wanted to use him against the Empire which, at the time being, was weakened by the plagues the Vahnatai created, but she didn't have enough strength to hold him of, so he built a portal of her soul. Luckily, the group that was sent to the surface, destroyed the portal in time. I have, I'm quite proud to say, managed to hold in this Haakai for several weeks now, and I have learned a lot from him. I am, also, a sage with great experience. Whether in the fields of alchemy or identification, I can be of great assistance to you
THATS WAAAAYYYy :eek: :eek: to long. Break up 250 char max texts into text1 and text2.

begintalknode 16;
state = 21;
personality = 2;
nextstate = 22;
condition = 1;
question = "Are you a wizard?";
text1 = "_Yes. I have achieved that title, because of my success where my teacher in the Tower of Magi, Linda, failed. She tried to summon and control the demonlord Grah-Hoth._";
text2 = "This was Avernum's great enemy, and she wanted to use him against the Empire which, at the time being, was weakened by the plagues the Vahnatai created, but she didn't have enough strength to hold him of, so he built a portal of her soul. Luckily, the group that was sent to the surface, destroyed the portal in time._";
text3 = "I have, I'm quite proud to say, managed to hold in this Haakai for several weeks now, and I have learned a lot from him. I am, also, a sage with great experience. Whether in the fields of alchemy or identification, I can be of great assistance to you._";
Try that.

As of that, and the fact the town script could be wrong, thats all I can think of.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
It would probably be helpful to know what error you're getting. It prints in red when you first enter the town.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #8
It will usually specifically say that a particular string is too long instead of failing to load the script.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #9
If it fails to load the script. Make sure you HAVE a town script with txt extension, set the script in town details, and have the dialoge script the same name with dlg after the name and before the extenstion.
And make sure their in the same folder ;)
Apprentice
Member # 4296
Profile #10
The errorsign does not show up until I try to talk to someone.
It says: Error: You tried to start dialogue when no dialogue script is loaded.
Anyone that knows what this means?
:confused:

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #11
What are your files named? In the BoA editor, you have to go into the "town" menu and select "town details." There, where it says "Town Script," pick a filename. Create a file by that name. Create another file by that name, and add "dlg" to the end. Then, make a Town Script in the first file (see the docs). After that, put your modified dialog stuff in the file with "dlg" on the end. Not that it is not ".dlg" but just "dlg" (it is still a .txt file). Hope this helped!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #12
Did you do what I said and shorten the lengths of the texts? The message also appears if you have an error in the dialouge script.
Apprentice
Member # 4296
Profile #13
I checked out this "Town Details" in the Editor, and I saw that it was a misspelling.
I had written an D instead of an t, and I think I have to shorten the text also.

Now its working, so I say thanks!

Many thanks to you all!
Most thanks to GIFTSare2d2!

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #14
All right, I have to ask. Is anyone else seeing this thread shifted, like, a whole page over to the right? It's really annoying, and really deserves a WTF?
Apprentice
Member # 4296
Profile #15
Yeah, I've noticed that it has moved to the right.
But I don't know what WTF is, so what does THAT mean?

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4492
Profile #16
^

Yup, me too, I thought there was censorship or something.

WTF = What the F***

[ Wednesday, July 07, 2004 06:35: Message edited by: Kiexcolo ]
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #17
It's because there are long lines inside the code tag. This is called board stretching, and it's typically a bad thing - however, in this case, it's quite excusable, since Grah-Hoth needed to post his code.