Player input?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Player input?
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #0
Am I correct that there is no way to capture input from the player for subsequent use?

The get_text_response(str) just stores a string for later comparison using check_text_response(str). In other words, we can only ckeck if the response matches a predetermined string. Is that all we have available?

Thanks,

mrb
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #1
You might try to set a Stuff Done Flag if you get the desired input with check_text_response call. Then later, if you want to check if they had gotten the correct response earlier, you can just have it check that SDF.

EDIT: But if you want to actually store a specific string of text for later use, I don't know a way of doing it.

[ Thursday, June 24, 2004 09:53: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Apprentice
Member # 4432
Profile #2
You could encode the string into a series of SDFs using some kind of cryptography algorithm. This is just a matter of transforming the string of characters into a string of numbers, then storing those numbers in some ingenious way. How many different values can an SDF take?

It might take a lot of SDFs to store any kind of long string, but it's theoretically doable.

EDIT: I just re-read this and realized I'm completely wrong. Unless you have some way of actually examining the contents of the input string (beyond a simple boolean comparison with some other string), then this won't work.

[ Thursday, June 24, 2004 15:58: Message edited by: Max Power ]

--------------------
He's the man
Whose name you'd love to touch,
But you musn't touuuuuuch...
Warrior
Member # 4492
Profile #3
Yup, unfortunately VOID get_text_response(char top_text) doesn't return anything so you can't make a string to copy it. Unless you study the actual coding and find the actual variable used to store the array of characters, then you might be able to make a copy and save it as a global or pointer or whatever but whether this messes up everything I have no idea.

I think this is the call but I'm not sure. Check keydlgs.c for actual coding. Theres a lot of unknowns in its coding so I'm not giving any more suggestions. void get_str_dlog(char *start_str,char *header_str,char *response,Boolean string_string = FALSE);

[ Thursday, June 24, 2004 20:01: Message edited by: Kiexcolo ]
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #4
Thanks K., I believe you've found the right function, and it can easily be made to return a string value etc - the problem of course is that BoA won't recognize it. I really do wish we had some user input :-(.

Thanks to all.

mrb
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #5
We can use get_buffer_text(strvar). Of course, this is just to manipulate the str buffer and perhaps extend it a bit.

Why no capturable user input?

Regards,

mrb