Questions about Editor

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Questions about Editor
Apprentice
Member # 3402
Profile #0
Could you make your own race? Add something like Slithzerakai and Nephilim with their own stats, and let those characters join your party? Can you make it so that when you create a party, you can get different races?

This may sound like a farfetched question, but I really would like to see a few more races out there.

Thanks,
Darkest90
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #1
quote:
Add something like Slithzerakai and Nephilim with their own stats, and let those characters join your party?
Wait, what? You can already have Slithzerikai and Nephilim in your party. Just click on the race portrait in the character creation screen.

quote:
Can you make it so that when you create a party, you can get different races?
Only if you are good at hacking and programing.
Apprentice
Member # 3402
Profile #2
quote:
Wait, what? You can already have Slithzerikai and Nephilim in your party. Just click on the race portrait in the character creation screen.
I was using them as an example.

So there is no in-editor way to do this? Rats...
Apprentice
Member # 4185
Profile Homepage #3
If you are talking about creating new races, Jeff made clear before Spiderweb released the editor that there wouldn't be any possibility to do that. His intention with creating the editor was that people should design scenarios about the Avernum universe, he hadn't time or money to create a RPG development utility. Thus he didn't include a possibility to design new races.

I don't think it's a bad idea, thought. I wouldn't mind some Vahnatai in the party...but I guess they're more bound to their people than Sliths and Nephils. So they wouldn't join a party of adventurers just like that.
But we'll see. Maybe some day I hope... :)

--------------------
Rufo, Vahnatai Ka, Te Pinoat
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #4
If Jeff ever makes another Exile/Avernum game, Vahnatai will not be anything more than NPCs, unless the game is set underground. Vahnatai will die if ever exposed to sunlight.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #5
No, that's Erica..

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #6
Vahnatai used to live on the surface, according to A3, so I think you've been 0wned By Avernum Canon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #7
Couldn't you create new races by replacing character pics and using custom special stats or items to modify experience?
(I don't know if this is possible, but people dismissed the idea really quickly, which I've noticed tends to be a bad idea with scriptable engines like this...or anything else, really.)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 4268
Profile #8
That would be cool if wecould get Vanahti or whatever.
There is a way that I know of to do it but it involves a bit of graphic moving and stuff and it will only happen on YOUR OWN computer

[ Tuesday, June 15, 2004 15:01: Message edited by: Drakon Master ]

--------------------
He strikes silently with large claws..........and webbed feet!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
Sure you could, SNM. You just wouldn't be able to include your race mod in a scenario or anything, since it would require external tinkering.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #10
Oh, we're smart. If people can drop a scenario in the right folder, they can replace a graphics file.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
It's been done before in BoE, but be warned that SW refuses to host scenarios that replace core files.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
They also claim that it is against the rules. It may be some sort of violation of the Blades license.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
Jeff stresses compatibility, from what I can tell. This is a fairly reasonable standpoint.

If you want to create such a scenario, you can host it in your own space. Jeff probably just doesn't want to hear complaints from morons who manage to overwrite their files permanently or do something ridiculously stupid while installing your scenario.