Numbers of dialog nodes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Numbers of dialog nodes
Apprentice
Member # 4362
Profile #0
What effect do the numbers on dialog nodes have? It seems you always have to declare a state number, and that is what matters.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #1
When you call begin_talk_mode() (so the NPC can talk in the first place ;) ), you have to supply the node number where the dialog begins. JV also uses the node numbers internally, so they HAVE to be unique across a particular town to work properly.

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I don't know if this was what spyderbytes was saying, so I may be repeating here, but if you write two nodes numbered 20, only the second one will do anything. The first one might as well not exist. The scripts load top-to-bottom, so that the second node of the same number writes over the first one.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #3
You said it much clearer than I did. :) But yeah, that's what I made a failed attempt to say. :D

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 4362
Profile #4
Thanks.

I have a minor complaint that 200 dialog nodes seems rather few to develop enough interesting personalities in a large town. On the other hand, if one expects the player to work through all the nodes, as a thorough player might do, more nodes could seem tedious. Do you find that limit restrictive?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Well, given the add_string and remove_string possibilities, along with as many as 8 boxes of text per node, with additional effects using codes available... no, not really. But then, I'm not writing an immersive-world-style scenario, so others' experiences with that genre may vary.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #6
I have yet to actually run out of dialog nodes (though I've come close in a couple of towns), but I do try to conserve them. Thing is, I have a few "chatty" NPCs (not necessary stuff, generally--usually comic relief) that can really chew through those nodes. :)

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #7
Ok, but for doing some specific stuff like variants without to use duplicate towns or for some special idea, 200 isn't so much.

It's possible to merge different dialog trees in one compatible with them in order to save nodes but that's more easy to have more nodes available. If 200 was ok but at the limit then for general use 400 would be probably a good bet.