A3 Mystery Island

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A3 Mystery Island
Apprentice
Member # 8889
Profile #0
Just off the coast of the Isle of Bigail, between Point Contemplation and the Southpoint Lighthouse, lies an island. I can see a group of gremlins wandering around, just waiting for a fight. But there's a problem...

I can't get to it! It is exactly six mouse clicks away from shore, and the Orb of Thralni will only let you fly for five mouse clicks before dumping you in the water to drown. I've tried hasting the whole party, but apparently the Orb isn't affected that way.

Six clicks away....how the heck do I get to this island? There must be a way; why would they put an inaccessible island in the game?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
There's a little bit of land on the Bigail maindland that sticks out slightly south of the rest of the land. It's only two or three spaces, and it's north of the eastern edge of the island. That puts it northeast of where you're trying to get to. To reach the gremlins, you need to start on the westernmost bit of that land and fly southwest.

—Alorael, who normally gives advice about moving diagonally here. Many laptop users never notice that you can move in eight directions, not four. Since you're already using the mouse, though, that's probably not an issue.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #2
What's with all the island questions today?

quote:
Originally written by foreverpoe:

why would they put an inaccessible island in the game?
For fun! There are also inaccessible rooms in quite a few places. Deal with it.

In fact this particular island is accessible. Try approaching from another direction.

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 8889
Profile #3
quote:
There's a little bit of land on the Bigail maindland that sticks out slightly south of the rest of the land.
That's where I'd been starting from each time, but apparently I tried every direction except SW. Thank you!
Apprentice
Member # 8889
Profile #4
quote:
There are also inaccessible rooms in quite a few places. Deal with it.
Well. Consider me chastised. I'll try to remember not to ask stupid questions on this forum.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Don't stop asking questions! You have learned how to get to your island, after all. When you get to the inaccessible areas, you can ask about them too.

—Alorael, who considers them even more solid evidence that Jeff is an evil man who enjoys tormenting those who play his games. Or maybe he's just a tormented man who lives in a generic dungeon. Take your pick.
Apprentice
Member # 8202
Profile #6
I'm not aware of any rooms that can't be accessed if you have the proper tools. Being told to "deal with it" seems a tad dickish.

Feel free to post your questions on these boards, as was mentioned above. I didn't even know about this island before.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #7
Hmph.

There are inaccessible rooms in, for example, Erika's Tower and Blackcrag Fortress.

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Sulfras has an unreachable chamber as well.

—Alorael, who supposes they're also reachable with the right meta-tools. There's nothing there, though, because getting in is cheating.
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #9
In Exile 2, there's an outdoor special node on a little ledge in the Spore Tunnels which is completely unreachable thanks to being located across 10+ tiles of pit, in a region where flight isn't allowed.

It drops ember flowers. Bit of a letdown, if you ask me.

[ Sunday, August 05, 2007 21:14: Message edited by: Duskwolf ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #10
In Avernum 2 there is a dead guy that lies in a bit of land to the east of the Headwaters that lie at the end of the river that lies east of the old (Exile 1) Lair of Pyrog. I can find no way to reach this area at all, there is no Flight spell and the Orb lacks the range needed. As I understand this is due to faulty porting on Jeff’s part, in Exile 2 it can be reached quite easily if you have the Orb of Thralni. Of course you had to start from outside the Moldy Cave and island – hop but it was easy enough.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Duskwolf:

In Exile 2, there's an outdoor special node on a little ledge in the Spore Tunnels which is completely unreachable thanks to being located across 10+ tiles of pit, in a region where flight isn't allowed.

It drops ember flowers. Bit of a letdown, if you ask me.

Are you sure there isn't a secret passage in the cave wall? There usually is, in cases like that.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #12
There probably is. There are countless secret doors down there.

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!

The Mystic: "Vista is a rather funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #13
No, there's no secret passage. I generated a full map, and the ledge is well and truly unreachable.

IMAGE(http://i13.tinypic.com/4qp7rcy.gif)

Here's a close-up of the relevant bit - look at the lower left corner. The passage to get to the pits is through a secret door, but there aren't any secret doors to the part past the pits. The shortest path across the pits flies across five squares of pits (W, W, SW, W, NW, N), which is more than Flight or the Orb can manage.

The rest of the maps are in this thread, BTW.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #14
It is possible to just reach it, if you use diagonal movement. This is possible when flying unlike Exile boating. You will have no rounds of flight left when you land but you will reach it.
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #15
Well, it would be, if Exile II allowed you to use flight there. Which it doesn't - if you start flying there and try to move, you get the message "Fly: Ceiling too low." This seems to happen whenever you're within 16 squares of the south edge of the world, probably to keep you from flying off the edge (although I don't think that ever becomes a problem).
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #16
I don't know what is happening here! On both versions of Exile 2 that I have there is no problem in this area. How unlike a lot of the areas in the Chasm Tunnels north of Mancuso.

If the game had any problems with the registration you would not be able to use the Orb at all. Presumably there must be a problem with the outdoor.dat file.
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #17
Okay, that's really bizarre then. Perhaps it's a difference between the Windows and Mac versions?
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #18
No, I have now lost the ability to fly in the area concerned. I hex - edited line 67 of the save game file to get my low - level party down to the Vahnatai caves ASAP. (Yes, hex editing is legal basically.) Low level party that had not done much in the game.) Then I returned to the upper, Exile, caves. On my next trip to the Spore Tunnels I found that I could not fly in the area at all. Not too sure what caused this change. Only part of the outdoor section loading properly when I hex edited?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
hex editing is legal, basically
However, it is not legal to discuss it on this forum.

--------------------
The Noble and Most Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by root:

quote:
hex editing is legal, basically
However, it is not legal to discuss it on this forum.

You apparently missed the discussion of this. We have official permission to discuss hex-editing of save files in order to fix them. We can't talk about hex-editing for more nefarious purposes.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #21
What are ember flowers?

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #22
Ember flowers were an alchemical ingredient that used to be in the Exile trilogy (in Avernum the herbs were generally given boring names like "spiritual herbs").

--------------------

Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #23
I know what spiritual herbs in the Avernum series are.
I just didn't know what ember flowers were in Exile.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
Ember flowers were only used for Resurrection Balm as far as I can remember.

—Alorael, who liked Exile's more interestingly named ingredients. The redundancy of interchangeable items made them still act like Spiritual Herbs without actually having to be called Spiritual Herbs.

Pages