Question about some skills.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Question about some skills.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #0
I am currently playing A3 and had a few questions. I am around level 30 and my main warrior takes some pretty steep hits and often. Does defense or hardiness really do much to help? I have them at 10 and 7 respectively. Also, I am guessing just plain extra levels helps as well?

Also, does dexterity eventually give you a 2nd attack if you get it high enough?
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #1
If you're taking steep hits, then try some Endurance.

Nalyd has found Hardiness to be fairly useful, and Defense less so.

Dexterity will not give you Action Points.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #2
It seems like endurance just gives hitpoints.. but if you are getting hit for 30+ per hit, endurance won't seem to help much.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Endurance sucks in every Spiderweb game. It's often worth buying a couple of cheap points later in the game, but (with the exception of Geneforge 4, in which its impact was ramped up) it has such a small impact on your HP, percentagewise, that it's rarely worth paying attention to; the fact that it is entirely dependent on PC level is just kicking a dead horse. The bonus to resistance stats has never been particularly noticeable or useful, either.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

Endurance sucks in every Spiderweb game. It's often worth buying a couple of cheap points later in the game, but (with the exception of Geneforge 4, in which its impact was ramped up) it has such a small impact on your HP, percentagewise, that it's rarely worth paying attention to; the fact that it is entirely dependent on PC level is just kicking a dead horse.
Actually, I'd say it's also one of the most useful stats for high-level parties in BoA. 20 or so more HP is certainly more worthwhile than another 5% to hit and one die of damage.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
Endurance depends upon the Avernum game. In the early games you could reach a hit point cap so there wasn't any point in doing much. BoA has the potential of reaching higher levels and I think the cap was removed or moved higher.

Avernum 4 had some endurance since you could shrug off poison and acid damage with high resistance. Still I wouldn't go over the 8 (I think) that you needed to raise resistance.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #6
Another question: Does assassination affect bows?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #7
Nope.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #8
Well there goes a crapload of skill points... Why doesn't it say that anywhere!?
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #9
So the only way to get hit for less is just to gain some levels and the levels itself will make you take less damage?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
It's more that at higher levels you have better armor and other skills that help avoid damage like gymnastics. You're always going to get hit some by spells and powerful monsters so the best thing is to get them first.
Apprentice
Member # 9018
Profile #11
Defense gives a 4% dodge bonus for every level you have of it, so 10 levels gives you a 40% chance to dodge the attack. I'd say that's pretty neat, and it's cheap too.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #12
The problem is it's not a 40% chance to dodge, it's a +40% bonus to your chance to dodge -- which often starts out extremely low (read: negative) against stronger enemies. You need an awful lot of levels in dodge-enhancing skills to get a respectable chance of dodging.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
I'm not one of the number-crunchers, but I don't think level has any direct impact on your chance to hit or be hit. That's entirely based on your skills and equipment.

—Alorael, who says go with Defense if you need it and accept that at higher levels you are going to be pounded by some enemies. The best defense is often a priest with plenty of energy.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
When I said "levels in dodge-enhancing skills" I indeed meant levels in a skill, not experience levels.

--------------------