Avernum 3 or Geneforge?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 3 or Geneforge?
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #0
6 months ago I beat Avernum 1. I just beat Avernum 2 which was fantastic. It will probably be a bit before I'm ready for the next Spiderweb game, but do you think I should try Geneforge or Avernum 3? Afraid to overdose on the same game world.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
Avernum 3 is on the surface, so it's like a whole new game world!

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Geneforge requires a different way of playing from the Avernum series. Since it has real time elements the monsters are in motion except when you are in fight mode where it goes turn base.

Avrnum 3 is fun unless you got have played the Exile series and don't want to see too many of the same places again. It has some new features that aren't in the other games that makes playing it easier.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #3
Ah.. so Geneforge would be a nice change of pace then? I heard it was a tad on the easy side.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
It has some very difficult areas, especially on torment.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Geneforge is more uneven than Avernum. There are more opportunities to overpower everything in your path and more times that you'll have to be extremely careful to avoid getting clobbered.

—Alorael, who still thinks the right answer can always be determined from the demos. You can get a very good sense of Geneforge by playing.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #6
Mmm, I play everything on normal, wouldn't touch torment. I died over 500 times in Avernum 2.. it was pretty tough...Of course, I went to areas I probably shouldn't have so soon. Is it compareable?

[ Tuesday, September 05, 2006 19:15: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
I've only played Torment level so I can't tell you the difference in levels. However if you died that many times you might be doing something wrong besides going into areas over your party level. It's real easy to die in Geneforge if you don't pay attention. You can get swarmed by monsters and die quickly. Geneforge allows you to bypass some combat areas and use stealth or diplomacy to get through the game.

Check out Strategy Central for a discussion of different character types that are played in Geneforge 3. Most of the advice can be used in earlier games.
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #8
In Geneforge I always keep a finger on the quicksave key. Avernum doesn't quite have the same effect. Then again, that's also a result of the real-time movement.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #9
I think A3 is more fun the first time (it's so huge!) but Geneforge has more replay value.

Get both.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #10
I have A3 already and just ordered Nethergate/Geneforge trilogy. Just trying to decide which to start first : ).
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
Nethergate is closer in style to Avernum. It is fun since you have two view points and styles of play. The Romans have less access to magic and the Celts have less armor.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I'd finish the Avernum trilogy. Unless you hate the gameplay, Valorim is a new place to ransack and things stay fresh. Geneforge can wait its turn.

—Alorael, who thinks Geneforge should wait until after Nethergate, which is a true gem. It deserves all the love you can give it and then some.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00