Need insight into a few things- Avernum 2

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Need insight into a few things- Avernum 2
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #0
I am in the middle of Avernum 2 and had a few questions..

How does Sanctuary work? I have level 3 and have tried to use it a few times... doesn't seem to do anything.

Do skills ever hit diminishing returns? Such as intelligence, mage spells, priest spells etc?

For my fighters I have struggled at finding the best combination of skills for higher levels but I am really not sure what will help them at higher levels vs the abundance of spells and multi-hitting enemies...

One fighter has the following skills-
11 strength
5 dexterity
1 int
11 endurance
14 pole weapons
11 hardiness
3 defense
11 assassination
10 Anatomy
8 gymnastics

Would it be better to boost dex/defense or dex/end/hardiness or what else would you suggest for high level encounters?

It seems to be that hardiness is very important, but in the skill description it says it just has a chance of reducing damage by 1.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
You're obviously a fighter in pole weapons. What you have looks pretty good. Gynmasitics is particularly useful I seem to recall.

As far as hardiness, it's 1 point of damage per level. So if you have 11 hardiness, upon every hit you will take 1-11 less damage in addition to your other armor. It's probably not extremely useful so long as you can heal your party fast enough.

[ Sunday, September 03, 2006 07:36: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
Boost Gymnastics and Defense when you get the time, as a nearly-unhittable pole-weapon wielder is a serious tank in A2.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #3
As for the post on hardiness, it says it has a chance to block 1 per level... but it doesn't sound definite from the description...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
Right - for each level of hardiness there's a chance that it will block a point of damage. So if there are 10 levels of hardiness, so on each hit it can block anywhere from 0 to 10 points of damage.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #5
Ah, gotcha. Makes sense. Are there ever diminishing returns with skills? My int/mage spells are both 18+ and same for the priest side...
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
I wouldn't invest more than what you need in mage/priest spells. Intelligence is probably more useful as you get more spell points.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #7
Besides for some endurance, I can't see what else the mage/priests could use besides for int/mage/priest spells.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
Well, dexterity is always useful if you don't want your mages to be completely inept in melee. Defense and hardiness are somewhat useful. The others are Potion Making, Mage Lore, Nature Lore, and Luck. Of the special skills Magery is always good.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
In reply to your other question about sanctuary, I found it helpful right after you get it on your return from the Vahnatai lands. It allows you time against the Empire assassins to get your characters hasted and blessed. In the Mertis Spiral at one point I used it to block attacks against my party by having only the characters in the middle use repel spirit while those that could be attacked do nothing so they formed shields that couldn't be attacked.

It drops in value in the later parts of the game where mass haste and bless speed up the process. Usually you spend all your time attacking and don't need the defense of sanctuary.

For your fighter you can increase his attack power with more assassination but otherwise defense can be replaced by just healing him at the end of the round. Your spell casters max out at 18 for mage and priest spell levels so just raise intelligence and magery. Be sure to have some one with potion making at 20 to make extra energy potions.

[ Sunday, September 03, 2006 19:55: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #10
Defense is extremely important unless you are sure you can get away with constantly healing your fighters. By defense I mean anything that decreases your chance to be hit. Anyway, later in all of the Avernum games your enemies will start to deal unreal amounts of damage if you get hit every time.

Hardiness is nearly useless in my experience, but maybe a point or two more of dexterity wouldn't hurt. I personally wouldn't put any more points into assassination since it is a rapidly diminishing return type of thing.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #11
How do you know that Assassination has diminishing returns? Does it say it anywhere?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
Assassination skill increases the chances that you can assassinate a monster, not how much damage you do. So once you're assassinating almost every hit, there's no point in putting more points into it.

Also, I love hardiness. It blocks damage and increases all of your resistances. Luck is worth some points too.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
For the fighter type characters you need to maximize your damage since you start running into magic resistant monsters. The worst is the rakshasa where you buff your fighter and send him up to slay it. Golems, Empire Wizards, and a few other are almost as bad.

Assasination usually needs to get above 10 to give you a good chance against all monsters.

I found that defense doesn't matter as much when you face magic casting monsters that always hit, The best defense is to kill them before they can hit you.