I Hate "Regenerating" Locks and Barriers

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I Hate "Regenerating" Locks and Barriers
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #0
This is something of a trivial topic, but one feature in the Avernum engine which I thoroughly despise is the fact that barriers and locked doors "regenerate" when you exit an area, even after you've dispelled/unlocked them.

This bit me in the arse in BoA, when I dispelled a barrier only to discover that I wasn't skilled enough to pick the lock on the door behind it yet. And when all you have to use to dispel barriers are Piercing Crystals -- which of course don't regenerate at all -- that really sucks.

Ideally, I could come back later and unlock the door after improving my Tool Use skill. As it is, I have to load the game or weep at the loss of a Piercing Crystal.

[ Friday, April 14, 2006 19:47: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #1
Or you could give yourself another Piercing Crystal and call it even. If you don't think the rules are fair, there's no one to make you play by them.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
Locked doors usually do not become relocked when you re-enter a town. I do not remember a single instance where it is absolutely necesary to dispel a barrier a second time, though. Just finish what you need to behind the barrier the first time.

If you have not tried Avernum 4, then you might like to know that the barriers stay dispelled in it.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Locked doors usually do not become relocked when you re-enter a town.
As far as I've ever experienced, exiting and then re-entering a town (or a dungeon) in any Avernum-engine game causes all the doors to lock again -- no exceptions. I know I've seen barriers reappear, too, but only in Avenum 3 (as far as I know, anyway).

quote:

I do not remember a single instance where it is absolutely necesary to dispel a barrier a second time, though. Just finish what you need to behind the barrier the first time.
I just gave you an example of a time when I couldn't finish my business behind a barrier, silly. :P

quote:

If you have not tried Avernum 4, then you might like to know that the barriers stay dispelled in it.
I have noticed that (it's the same in Genforge, of course), but I'm not too sure about Avernum 4 yet. I played it for a number of hours at one point, and I'll try to play it again, but I don't think I was terribly impressed with it. It's not too bad, but I'm going to finish the other Avernums first.

[ Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:37: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
Originally by Old Scratch:

quote:
As far as I've ever experienced, exiting and then re-entering a town (or a dungeon) in any Avernum-engine game causes all the doors to lock again -- no exceptions.
As far as Dikiyoba knows, this holds true for A1 through A3 but is not true for BoA. In BoA, many doors have a Stuff Done Flag that remembers that they have been unlocked before.